Rslogix500 activation key problem

S

sohail

hay every body;

i have installed the Rslogix500 version 5.0 programming software for SLC in my computer. The activation key of that software is misplaced . But i have the HDCOPY of that activation. Now in HDCOPY software the image of the activation key is stored in buffer, but when i copy the image from buffer to floppy disk for making the master copy then the messege come "the disk must be low level formatted". I have also formatted the new floppy disk, but the problems remains?

how i can get the key back from buffer image?

i will appreciate for earlier response.

Hi Sohail,

First, I am not sure if your HD copy contains all hidden files of the actual activation disk. If ok try to extract the activation for the HD itself and activate your software direct from the HD.

For the floppy you have to full format the floppy disk on DOS environment. Try to use imaging software like WinImage to transfer from HD to floppy disk. Also contact your local Rockwell Automation representative if they can assist you on this problem.

S

ScienceOfficer

sohail---

All that effort, and no success. When you lost your activation, you should have contacted Rockwell Software at 440-646-5800 as all of the documentation and Help files suggested. They want you to use this software, and they will help---as long as you are the rightful owner of the license...

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver
Rexel / Central Florida

A

Alan Hartwell

The software key has been developed precisely to prevent what you are trying to do, that is, to create an unauthorized copy of the key. If you are a licensed purchaser of the software, then Rockwell Software will provide a replacement key at no cost.

P
Hi,

Just want to share something, I did have the same problem last time, I lost my original activation disk. But lucky I did copy the files in it to my HDD.

I copied them to a network and did evmove, and now I can re-generate another floppy.

Try it.
premanedan

B

Bob Peterson

There is no real legitmate reason to do this since AB is very good about supporting people who actually have a license to use their software.

C
Actually there are very good reasons to this here in Australia, my local AB represnetative may be 3000 kms and three days away. So despite their best supportand the support is excellent there may be need to do just that.

H
You might want to look at the longer term Bob. I'm still running a couple of PLC-5 AI packages that I paid for, but that are way out of support. I'm glad I got some backup. It's not just a license that is needed, it's current support and the company has to be there. My AI packages are more than 10 years old, and where is Icom?

Hugo

C

Curt Wuollet

And I think that since copy protection has no value to the
buyer, the vendor should be entirely responsible for any
inconvenience it causes. This would include turning it off
for any valid reason or paying any costs incurred. This
would drive more reasonable arrangements. After all, most of your customers are the good guys.

Regards

cww

B

Bob Peterson

Horse hockey!

Virtually every issue can be resolved over the phone or via their web site, short of you physically losing your master disks OR not paying your support contract.

Bob Peterson

C
Think before you speak, you have to have a phone line or access to the internet. If I could get to their webiste why would I bother saying what I said. My comment was specifically in relation to copy software from an activation disk to the hard drive of my computer. I resent the attitute that because I have paid for the software, I have to accept the responsibilty of maintaining the vendors software protection scheme.

J

Joe Jansen/TECH/HQ/KEMET/US

This is exactly the attitude that drove me away from AB in the first place: If you have a problem that our clueless tech-support book reader can't solve, than you must be a criminal and we don't want you around anyway.

Stuff happens, Bob, and sometimes it isn't in the book that tech support reads to you. Does that mean that I am just S.O.L. if somethings happens? What about locations outside the US where tech support may not be as widely available is it is here?

I can't tell if your response is naive, or arrogant. Either way, it portrays a lack of understanding real-life situations.

--Joe Jansen

B

Bob Peterson

> This is exactly the attitude that drove me away from AB in the first
> place: If you have a problem that our clueless tech-support book reader
> can't solve, than you must be a criminal and we don't want you around
> anyway.
>
> Stuff happens, Bob, and sometimes it isn't in the book that tech support
> reads to you. Does that mean that I am just S.O.L. if somethings happens?
> What about locations outside the US where tech support may not be as
> widely available is it is here? <

I agree stuff happens. I have been at this now for 20+ years, and have seen all kinds of strange and unusual things happen. tech support is readily available via the interent or telephone anywhere in the world that has them available. It may not be as convenient as one would like but it is readily available. The original message IIRC, was about losing keys. As long as you have paid your support fee, it is very easy to go on the Internet and get a reset code if you happen to lose a key on your hard drive. very easy. The only problem is if you lose your master disk while simultaneously losing the key off your hard drive, not a very likely situation. In fact, if you have your master disk, even with the key transferred to a hard drive, you can actually run off the master disk. I don't suggest doing so because it puts you at risk of losing the master disk, but it does work. The origional message seemed to mostly be a whine about not liking the terms of the agreement he made with AB when he acquired the rights to use the software in the first place.

Fact is, if he oes not like the T&C, he is free to chose some other vender.

> I can't tell if your response is naive, or arrogant. Either way, it
> portrays a lack of understanding real-life situations. <

Certainly not naive, nor arrogant. Either your word is good or it is not. You can either abide by the terms of the agreement you made when you bought the software, or you can chose to not abide by your word. It really boils down to your own sense of honor and honesty. It is not about convenience or anything else. If you cannot abide by your own word to abide by an agreement you voluntarily entered into, what kind of a person does that make you? is it the kind of person you want to be? Is it the kind of person you want to hire?

C

Curt Wuollet

I have arrived at a site where everyone was in panic mode and no one knew where anything was. Perfectly valid license, etc. But these things run long enough that no one may even remember who commissioned it. And these days, he might not even work for the same people. Of course, this isn't supposed to happen, but it does. I still question just how neccessary copy protection is and how much it really saves when you consider the overhead to administer
it and the problems it generates. I certainly respect their right to license their property any way they see fit within the law, but I wonder if the cure isn't worse than the disease. It would be really hard to quantify since the pricing keeps the tool seats to processors ratio pretty low. Since it's of no use unless you own their products, the potential for piracy seems quite limited. The copy protection aside, it would be interesting to see if lower
prices brought higher volume.

Regards

cww

J

Jeremy Pollard

I believe that the costing structure is going to change so that you have to license RSLogix (for instance) for the number of processors you have. Like the tech support contracts.

Science Officer - how close am I?

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Crazy Canuckian!
Integration and Automation Training, Consulting, and Software
http://www.tsuonline.com

Control Design www.controldesign.com
Manufacturing Automation www.automationmag.com

PLCopen North America - [email protected]
http://www.PLCopen.org

Please note Address Change..............

3 Red Pine Court, RR# 2 Shanty Bay, Ontario L0L 2L0
705.739.7155 Cell # 705.725.3579

S
I thought it was already like that: one install, one license, except for license check-out type systems.

J

Jeremy Pollard

I am not sure on the implementation but the tech support costs will be based on the number of processors thus the software support costs will be reflected by the number of processors you have. That means that if you have 10 PLC-5's it wil cost you X and if you have 100 PLC-5s and SLC-500's then it will cost you 8X (only as an example).

So this means that you can as many copies up to a max for the number of processors with a support contract in place.

At my age I cant remeber where I heard this but it was within the last year, and it was tied into the Tech Connect revamp of the tech support contracts.....

So again I ask the Science Officer.... am I dreaming? I dont want to be the provider of propaganda... but I hope I'm not going senile!!:)

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Crazy Canuckian! Integration and Automation Training, Consulting, and Software http://www.tsuonline.com

Control Design www.controldesign.com Manufacturing Automation www.automationmag.com

PLCopen North America - [email protected] http://www.PLCopen.org

Please note Address Change..............

3 Red Pine Court, RR# 2 Shanty Bay, Ontario L0L 2L0 705.739.7155 Cell # 705.725.3579

S
When you said processors you meant PLC CPUs. I thought you meant PCs. How would this be implemented for OEMs and integrators?

--
Steve Myres, PE
Automation Solutions
(480) 813-1145

J

Joe Jansen/TECH/HQ/KEMET/US

On April 8, 2004, Bob Peterson wrote:
<snip>
> Certainly not naive, nor arrogant. Either your word is good or it
> is not. You can either abide by the terms of the agreement you made
> when you bought the software, or you can chose to not abide by your
> word. It really boils down to your own sense of honor and honesty. <

I have no problem abiding to the terms of an agreement I make when I buy software. For this reason, I should not be considered part of some "criminal element" that is out to steal software that has no use without the hardware it is meant to support. Honestly, I cannot think of many uses for RSLogix 500 without a SLC/Micrologix PLC.

> It is not about convenience or anything else. <

Actually, it is. I choose the agreement I am entering into based on the convenience of abiding by the terms, the availability of support from both the OEM and the local distributor, and the amount of non-standard info that I can get/how easy it is to get. My sense of honor/honesty makes very little difference in what I choose, since that remains constant, regardless of who the vendor is.

> If you cannot abide
> by your own word to abide by an agreement you voluntarily entered
> into, what kind of a person does that make you? is it the kind of
> person you want to be? Is it the kind of person you want to hire? <

Absolutely agree. That is why it is important to compare vendors based on what they require you to agree to in order to use their products. I have found Rockwell's requirements to be outside the realm of what I am willing
to agree to, plain and simple. Thus the reason for my wholesale migration to Omron. Understanding that they have their own problems in some areas, I have found their licensing terms to be more agreeable, and they are willing to give me published descriptions of their protocols (FINS), unlike Rockwell (DH+, etc). Plus their tech support is top notch. Really, it was a pleasant surprise.

--Joe Jansen

M

marc sinclair

Indeed they do, the SYSWin token disc causes many problems, If you complain enough though, you may be able to get a parallel port dongle FOC, which will work on SOME machines.

I don't want to be negative though, there is good quality PLC programming software out there with neither tokens nor dongles from Telemecanique and Siemens - any others?

--
Marc Sinclair
http://www.germainesystems.co.uk