RSView 32 red screen during large downloads

A

Anonymous

I reluctantly built a recipe system on the RSView 32 Platform. It appears to be very unstable. At times a recipe can be downloaded without problems. Then all heck occurs and the downloads screen turns red. Of course this is due to comm errors. I have a new blue hose installed from the HMI to the SLC 500 then to my two operator interfaces (daisy chained)with a 150 ohm at the last HMI.

My recipes are graphic screens and the production supervisor types in his recipe and then saves it (while he is in RS View Works dangerous I know) then the operators operating from Runtime click to download the recipe at times she goes the first time and others they must download it several times before the red screen clears.

I have optomized the packets in RSLinx and I have restricted the packets to 1 instead of the default of 20.

My amount of data that I am sending to the PLC is close to 100 entries. I have been told by AB/Rockwell (of course after I purchased the package) that arround 100 entries downloaded at a time is near the maximum.

Has anyone ever came across this problem and PLEASE what did you do?

When you say Blue hose I assume you mean DH+ ?

DH+ Operates as follows:

By Optimized, what is you definition of "Optimized"

Are you using DDE or OPC and how is it set up.......

DH+ =

Each PLC or node you talk to = 1 packet Each Data table within that PLC = 1 packet Each 100 words as Integers = 1 packet Each 50 words as Floats = 1 packet Each 33 words as Timer/Counter = 1 packet Have had issues with how Bits work and never really got a clear understanding

There is a tool in RSLinx that will show you "Optimized" packets and they should be very few....

I do not have a lot of experience with SLC's mainly PLC 2,3,5,250 and C-Logix but similar in concept and you should not have this issue with Rockwell so something is set up or laid out wrong...

What are you using in the PC's for communications cards, what PC's are you using and how big are they, what are your graphics made up of....are there and VB code behind, how much "background" traffic do you have....example, alarms, trends etc....this will be gathered all the time etc., you mention resistor on one end but how is this in, some of the cards have a dip switch for this so you have 2 resistors in, when you say resistor where is it placed (across blue and clear, I have seen blue to shield)

Shooting from the hip, I remember the setting you talk about as limiting the packets to 20 (default) and I think going lower may slow you down more but that one I have not thought about in a while.........

E-mail me off list and we could get together vie e-mail of phone and track this down.

Dave Ferguson [email protected]

DAVCO Automation Blandin Paper Company

R
I just built a RSView screen which sends 109 registers at a go. No particular tweaking and no problems, so under 100 entries should no be a problem. In the PLC, there should be a data file dedicated to the RSView data exchange, which should be contiguous.

Ron Sewell
Sigmatic Controls