RSView versus VB

W

Wade

Has anyone considered or done a complete conversion from RSView32 to all visual basic. We are thinking of it to save the cost of RSView32 for every installation. Any comment would be appreciated.

K

kalpak dabir

if you app is fixed or with minor variations it possible. If you apps vary, with a lot of customized screens then any professional SCADA is much easier to use, especially finishing a project on time. Where you can save money is add ons like OPC servers, or other non standard drivers, which can be developed in house.

kalpak dabir
[email protected]

D
Wade,

We have not done a backwards rebuild of any systems like you propose, but have built new systems to remove the dependency of AB activation for our factories. The HMI side can be easily replaced with VB, but the RSLinx part for communications is where it gets hairy. RSLinx has its own activation and what do you replace it with? We have used packages from Automated
Solutions, CimQuest, etc. RSLinx does have some nice features that are not handled as well in other packages, but can be done by your program. This is where the hardships for replacing the system really are. How do you handle threading and how do you handle large amounts of data without a queue of some sort? Then you need to consider how to handle the data in/out of the system. Do you use a small data server like access or do you need the power of SQL and how do you accomplish this? Once you get past the communications and data parts the rest is fairly straight forward.

Dale

R
We did a conversion several years ago from another SCADA to VB6 and the result was very positive both from the operational and economic viewpoints. We used an OPC server (which in this case was "free", i.e came with the control product). I would advise any HMI user, especially OEM's who need an HMI integrated into their product, to give a strong look at VB as opposed to using any SCADA/HMI package.

Rick Hudson

R

Robert Morey

Kalpak,
I want to commend you on the comments above. I lead a team of engineers who up to this point have been using only UNIX based data collection applications. We are beginning to branch into using MS2000, VB6, and RSView product line. In an effort to save our plants money we have been toying with the idea of eliminating RSView (keeping RSLinx) and using strictly VB6 and OPC servers to write data collection applications. From your experience or anyone else you know, had much luck replicating RSView32's tag database in VB6?

Thank you,
Robert Morey
[email protected]