RTD and TCJ calibration period

M

momad tval

Dear Friends;

I work at Thermal Power Plant. I have some RTD & TCJ at Boiler, Turbine and other place. I must test RTD and TCJ for calibration with a period. I have two questions: 1) What is your guideline for Calibration Period Interval? (2 years, 3 years, or depend on manufacture offer)

2) After TCJ installation I cannot access it for test. in this situation what is the guideline for Period interval?

i don't need any doc. about calibration way or other things. i want only the time of calibration that is practically used at another power plant or industrial
plant. if you know of a standard about this subject for example ISA, etc. please inform me.

thanks
masod

Hello Friend

I have asked this question before on the Alist and never got a definite answer. That has been some time ago and now I know a couple things about testing intervals. Basically it boils down to the application and how harsh and/or critical it may be. Ask yourself, does the temperature device monitor or control. Naturally the ones that only monitor are less critical. Many of the rtds I had to test were modified with a thermal well type connection so the process did not have to be compromized when testing. The loop could be put in manual during the test.

My experience does not include a TCJ testing and I cannot comment how to make those tests.

Hope that is some help.
Regards, Mark Ray

J
Be careful with the term "calibration" because it means different things.
Calibration can mean:
- Adjusting the reading from the sensor: "sensor trim"
- Setting a range corresponding to 4 mA and 20 mA
- Adjusting the current output of the transmitter circuitry: "current trim"

Only the second (Setting a range corresponding to 4 mA and 20 mA) can be done remotely on a HART or other fieldbus protocol transmitter.

However, I think this person is asking about the first (Adjusting the reading from the sensor: "sensor trim") there remote communication is not the solution since you must always apply a known input before you make sensor trim "calibration".

Always be wary of the expression "remote calibration".

For more information on calibration of intelligent transmiters take a look at chapters 4 and 9 of the yellow book "Fieldbuses for Process Control: Engineering, Operation, and Maintenance" buy online:
http://www.isa.org/fieldbuses

Jonas Berge
SMAR
===========
[email protected]
www.smar.com
Learn fieldbus and Ethernet at your own pace: www.isa.org/fieldbuses
Learn OPC and automation software at your own pace: www.isa.org/autosoftware