S5 connection

M

mangleman

1)Does anybody know why my pc - siemens s5 connection is not working.

I have the correct s5 lead 15 way male in cpu 25 way female into a 25 female to 9 way female adapter, which i have fed into my 9 way rs232
serial port of my pc.

using s5 v7.0 I cannot get the pc to communicate to the cpu, any ideas on the setup?

2) Does anybody know what is involved to get an S5 plc talking to siemenn wincc, i.e what leads cards do i need to connect the wincc to the
plc

thanks in anticipation.

Z

Zan Von Flue

Hi
For the first question, I would check to see if the comm port is correct (software). Also with a comm test (normally 25pol) I would check if maybe the pin 2 and 3 (TX and RX) need to be crossed.
For the second question- I don't know, but
"http://www4.ad.siemens.de/csinfo/livelink.exe?func=cslib.csinfo&siteid=cs&la
":http://www4.ad.siemens.de/csinfo/livelink.exe?func=cslib.csinfo&siteid=cs&la is the support page. you just have to look around.
also
"https://mall.ad.siemens.com/DE/guest/index.asp?aktPrim=0&lang=en":https://mall.ad.siemens.com/DE/guest/index.asp?aktPrim=0&lang=en is the siemens catalog page.
later
zan

M

Michael Griffin

At 10:08 20/12/01 -0500, mangleman wrote:
<clip>
>1)Does anybody know why my pc - siemens s5 connection is not working.
>
>I have the correct s5 lead 15 way male in cpu 25 way female into a 25
>female to 9 way female adapter, which i have fed into my 9 way rs232
>serial port of my pc.
>
>using s5 v7.0 I cannot get the pc to communicate to the cpu, any ideas
>on the setup?
<clip>

Your explanation of your problem is a bit unclear. I will state the
following:
i) You need to connect to the S5 CPU with the proper Siemens adaptor cable (which has a TTY to RS-232 converter built into it).
ii) You will need a 25 pin to 9 pin adaptor to connect this to most modern computer serial ports. This adaptor should not be crossing any signals (i.e. Tx goes to Tx, Rx goes to Rx, etc.).
iii) If your CPU has more than one port, make sure you are connecting to the correct one.
iv) Make sure you are plugging directly into the PLC CPU, and not into anyone's extension cable until you have isolated the problem.
v) Check which model of TTY to RS-232 adaptor you have. There was an older one which Siemens sold some years ago which needed an external power supply to power it. The newer cable draws power from the CPU programming port. I believe the cable requiring the external power supply is still needed for certain programmable I/O modules, so it may still be a current product. B&B Electronics makes an identical product as well. This isn't likely to be your problem, but you should check.
vi) I assume you have checked your Step-5 set-up thoroughly, so I won't comment on that.

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada

The PLC to PLC converter from Siemens has the following part number:- 6ES5 734-1BD20

This converts the RS232 signals into TTY for use by the PLC. No external power supply is required.

H

Hakan Ozevin

1) If you are already using TTY adapter (6ES5734-1BD20) and using a note-book running on Win98
(Win2000 also?), then the problem can be disabling of com ports by the operating system. Then you should run s5encomm.exe instead of s5.exe. This program is already installed in STEP5 directory.

2) You can communicate from WinCC with a single S5 PLC using the same TTY adapter. No additional
hardware or software is required.Multiple PLC's can be communicated with Ethernet or Profibus
(additional SW and HW required).

I

ITS SHAHID WAQAS CHAUDHRY

>1)Does anybody know why my pc - siemens s5 connection is not working. I have the correct s5 lead 15 way male in cpu 25 way female into a 25 female to 9 way female adapter, which i have fed into my 9 way rs232 serial port of my pc. using s5 v7.0 I cannot get the pc to communicate to the cpu, any ideas on the setup?<

That is because the AS511 (s5 prog port) use a TTY current loop whereas your PC talks simple RS232. What you require is a TTY-RS232 Converter. You can purchase from SIEMENS and/or Phoenix. Once the cable is fixed, then all you have to do is tell the Step5 program which port you are using on the setup page(using F4 hot-key to get there). That should solve you problem.

>2) Does anybody know what is involved to get an S5 plc talking to siemenn wincc, i.e what leads cards do i need to connect the wincc to the plc?<

There are several methods. (I am assuming that you are using 115, 135 or 155
series)
1) The easiest and the best is to use the AS511 port. You can do this using the TTY-RS232 cable that you developed (Q1). Insert the AS511 Channel and define tags. You are limited to only 2 DB but the fastest and the cheapest solution to S5-WinCC connectivity.
2) Serial: Use CP524/525 from SIEMENS. You would require the CP524, EPROM(or RAM), COM525 (CP524/525 parameterization software), and V24 cable. The connection setting is straight forward. Insert the S5 3694 Channel in WinCC and start configuring TAGS. You are restricted to low speed (9600 bps) and only one connection (Point2Point).
3) Profibus (Using FDL): For more data. The requirement is CP5431 (PLC), COM5431 (CP5431 parameterization software), CP5613 (PC), DP-5613 (Software drivers for the CP5613) and Profibus Cable. Ideal middle cost solution. Good speed and expandable(Multiple PLC connected to single HMI, also other profibus capable items can talk on the same bus). You can also program the PLC through the Profibus CP.
4) Ethernet: Expandable, Top of the line but the most expensive. Can also program the PLC through the Ethernet CP.

My personal recommendation is to go for solution1 (Small Data to be exchanged). If expansion is in mind and data amount is also large, go for profibus. You decide depending on the number of data to be transferred.

Hope this help. Contact you local siemens dealer/integrator for more detail and order numbers.

Best Regards,
Shahid Waqas Chaudhry