S7300 to S7200 via MPI cable?

M

Mustafa CETIN

Hi Everyone,
Is it possible to make a connection between S7300 to S7200 via MPI cable (CP5611) or are there any way to create this connection. Please answer if you sure...thanks

D

Daniel Chartier

Hello;

Your question is ambiguous, so I will try to answer as I understand it.

Can comms be established over MPI between a S7-300 (master) and a S7-200 (slave)? Yes, using functions XGET and XPUT in the S7-300 program you can connect to a S7-200 slave and read/write to it. Connection can be done using the MPI cable, or alternatiovely with profibus cable and connectors, or even with your own home-made RS-485 cable (for a short, point-to-point run).

The CP5611 is a PCI card that loads into a PC, so I am now guessing that you would also like to connect a programmer PC to the CPUs you are networking, possibly to program/monitor with Step 7 and Microwin. Also possible, but now you must use Profibus cable and connectors to ensure multi-point connection over MPI. You could also develop your own multi-drop RS-485 cable, just make sure all the soldering doesn't affect the impedance required on the bus. And whenever you access any of the CPUs from the PC, you will have to interrupt the comm link.

Look at the S7-200 Programmable Controller System (S7-200_e.pdf) manual, chap. 7 (Communications) for more details. I will try to paste some info from that document here, I don't know how it will turn out:

MPI Protocol -
MPI allows both master-master and master-slave
communications. See Figure 7-8. To communicate
with an S7-200 CPU, STEP 7--Micro/WIN
establishes a master--slave connection. MPI
protocol does not communicate with an S7-200
CPU operating as a master.

Network devices communicate by means of
separate connections (managed by the MPI
protocol) between any two devices. Communication
between devices is limited to the number of
connections supported by the S7-200 CPU or
EM 277 modules. See Table 7-3 for the number of
connections supported by the S7-200.

Figure 7-8 MPI Network

For MPI protocol, the S7-300 and S7-400 PLCs use the XGET and XPUT instructions to read and
write data to the S7-200 CPU. For information about these instructions, refer to your S7-300 or
S7-400 programming manual.

Sorry, can't show the drawings, look at the manual.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

thank you very much

it was useful for me but now i'm getting trouble with doing this experiment, which is a requirement for SCADA network course could you give a example video so that i can easier know what i need to do in step by step

hoping to have you help soon
have a nice time!