Scada HELP!!!!

D

D.Allen

For the last 9 years I have been programming PLCs. These include Siemens Step5, Step7, Rockwell's PLC2 and RSLogix 500 and 5000. I have now been asked by my company to design and install a complete system for liquid level controls on bulk and mixing tanks.
RS products have been identified as the system to use. But how do I even begin to start on the scada side, having only modified scada sytems in the past?

M

Michael Batchelor

How complex is the system to be? If all you need is a way to see what's happening to a couple of points, then it's probably not that hard. But if you need to develop the "command and control center" for a large tank farm, it can be a daunting task.

Obviously you need to define 1)What the operator needs to see, 2)What the operator needs to *DO*, 3)What the system needs to *DO FOR THE OPERATOR*, 4)etc.This list can get long.

The absolute single most important thing to remember is that you need to forget about deciding what software your going to use. If this is a big SCADA system, then plan the operators stations without regard to software. Figure out what they need to do first, then look for the development method that let's you implement that. I doubt this, but you might end up deciding that pen charts and pushbuttons are the best operator interface. But in all cases, plan what the interface does before you try to decide how you're going to do it.

Michael

--
Michael R. Batchelor
www.ind-info.com

N

Nathan Boeger

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking for. How did you begin with PLC programming? Perhaps someone in your company could help you learn. I'd start by contacting your AB rep/local vendor and go over the system specs to determine what pieces of software you need. I would then recommend that you play with the software and go through the documentation to get an idea of how it works. Better yet, if you have access to development software, use that. If you need more help sign up for a class. At some point you'll get the idea and be ready to plan your application. AB SCADA software is designed for non-programmers (referring to software not PLCs). It's specifically tailored to look familiar to those used to using RSLogix (ie, YOU). You'll do great. You'll add many vendor's SCADA packages to your experience list in no time! Good luck and keep us posted.

----
Nathan Boeger
http://www.inductiveautomation.com
Total SCADA Freedom

C

Curt Wuollet

That's easy, you begin by finding out and getting consensus on exactly what the system has to do. Display what, where, and provide what information. Then define your sources and interfaces. Once you have this mapped out then you can determine what comms you will need. Then it's just a matter of finding out that the SCADA product mandated won't do it. :^)

But. seriously, the more planning you do, the easier it gets to select the system chunks and you should have a list of capabilities that you need. And that's what you need to spec and buy software.

Regards

cww