Search tools for Centum CS EWS

A

Anonymous

I need some help in unix scripts for searching Centum CS data files in EWS. Thanks.

M

Michael Griffin

I am not familiar with Centum CS, but I do know Unix scripts in general. What is the file format and what are you trying to search for? Are these ASCII flat files which can be searched by standard Unix tools, or are they a proprietary database format?

Centum CS 3000 has CSV file formats comma separated value, can you elaborate your question more properly?

M

Michael Griffin

CSV files are easy to work with. You said you need some help with scripts for "searching", so I assume your question is with regards to grep, sed, or awk. I have done a good deal of work with grep, sed, and gawk (a newer version of awk) on CSV files from servo presses and test equipment to do filtering, decimating, searching, etc. I've also written "bash" scripts on Linux systems.

Grep and sed are useful as "filters" where you just want to find a certain pattern. Awk (or gawk) can do anything that grep or sed can do, but it is more programmable so it can do a great deal more as well. All three use "regular expressions" for pattern matching. In addition, awk can automatically split each CSV record (row) at the separators, which is nice when you are manipulating the data.

There are also free versions of grep, sed, and awk for MS-Windows if these interest you.

I don't know what you want to do yet, but to save a bit of back and forth, I though I would ask the following questions. You can answer which ever ones you feel are applicable (and ignore the rest):

- What would you like to do?

- Are your questions about dealing with grep/sed/awk, or is it the bash/sh/ash (or whatever) shell itself?

- Are you trying to create new scripts, or are you trying to modify existing ones?

- Is it that you know what you want to accomplish, but don't know where to start?

- What version of unix are you using (HP-UX, Ultrix, AIX, SCO, BSD, etc.)? This may or may not matter as different versions of unix may ship with slightly different versions of the standard utilities (i.e. AT&T sysV vs. BSD vs. GNU). Some of the newer versions have options that aren't available in the older ones.

- Which shell (bash, sh, c-shell, ash, etc.) are you using? This question only really matters if your question is about shell scripts (as opposed to grep/sed/awk).

Let me know what you would like to do.

Hi,
I have written very comprehensive "search" tools for CENTUM CS use. Pure HP-UX scripts.

It's does a lot more than just search & display.

It can:
- search I/O Module, Control Drawing, Graphics Modifiers etc
- Realtime Read/Write any tags
- Shows control station health status
- seletive read/write Tuning Parameters
- ASCII based VT100 compliant Tuning Panels for remote access use
etc etc

Please reach me at [[email protected]]