Sending E-mail automatically informing of alarm status

B

Brad

I am thinking that I can import data into Excel and use the "mailto:" function when the value is in alarm, but I do not know how to get Outlook to send the message.

Any help is appreciated.

L

Lewis Bodden

If you can import data into Excel then you can use one of the points as a trigger to have a VBA routine use the "mailto:" function. Use the OnTime function in VBA to run a sub routine every few seconds or at a specific time and check the trigger.

I've seen this done before. Have a mechanism to turn it off. After one or more people start getting a flood of e-mails, they will hate you.

T
AB offers an activeX component with exposed model with RSView called RSMessenger that will email alarms, call pagers, even talk to you if you want. I am not familair enough with LabView to know if it provides an activeX container, but if it does you MIGHT be able to get the two to work together. Rockwell does license its activeX components, but you'll have to contact them for the details. Have you tried contacting LabView to see what they offer?

The Internet Toolkit for LabVIEW, available from National Instruments, includes VI's for sending emails. Using the VI's, it is quite easy to send an email any time a signal goes into alarm or some condition is met. There are a number of LabVIEW customers that use the toolkit to do exactly what you would like.

Regards,
Aaron

S

Steve Myres, PE

It's easy to use WinBatch from "www.winbatch.com":http://www.winbatch.com Wilson WindowWare, Inc. to automate any other program, including Outlook. Write a WinBatch file with a loop to check the value from Linx via DDE, and when the value is in alarm, then automatically compose and send the email from Outlook. You don't even have to hardcode the alarm values into the batch file, as long as the PLC knows the alarm limits. You can get these from Linx via DDE and do the comparison in the batch file as well.

[email protected]

The Internet Toolkit for LabVIEW, available from National Instruments, includes VI's for sending emails. Using the VI's, it is quite easy to send an email any time a signal goes into alarm or some condition is met. There are a number of LabVIEW customers that use the toolkit to do exactly what you would like.

Regards,
Aaron

C

Cameron McDonald

I have successfully opened Outlook Express using a Batch file from the command line, then used a call to the SendObject command in MSAccess (You should be able to link the data in an MSAccess database if you are able to get it into Excel). You can send a report or, even simpler, you can send the result of a query.