Sensor conversion?

D

Danielle Singh

i am currently using a PLC that only uses sensors that use the 2-wire protocol. however i would like to use a normal sensor. is there any way i can convert it.

M

Michael Griffin

At 14:43 12/01/01 -0500, Danielle Singh wrote: <clip> >i am currently using a PLC that only uses sensors that use the 2-wire >protocol. however i would like to use a normal sensor. is there any way i >can convert it. <clip> Can you be a bit more specific? 1) What type of PLC do you have, 2) what type of sensors do you have now, 3) how are they connected, 4) and what do you consider to be a normal sensor? ********************** Michael Griffin London, Ont. Canada [email protected] **********************

S
Danielle, I don't know if you had a response to this yet. Perhaps I will take a stab at it. I assume that you are using DC prox switches (3 Wire)? If this is true then you would really have no problem. Some of today's DC proxes allow sinking or sourcing, and PLC's do that as well. If you have a specific polarity of sensor such as sinking sensors then wire the PLC input common to positive. Vice-a-versa for sourcing sensors. Your info was sketchy so I hope this helps. Sid

H

Hakan Ozevin

All PLC's that accept 2-wire connection will also accept 3-wire ("normal" as you say). Just feed the +L cable with 24 V DC of the sensor PS output or if you are using an external power supply, connect PS's neutral to the PLC's neutral (I assume that you are from a "sourcing" world, if you are from a "sinking" world the connection will be different). The problem is the other way round. Some PLC's does not accept 2-wire connection. I have never heard of a PLC not accepting 3-wire connection. Hakan Ozevin