Sensor for paper thickness?

R

Rich Weekly

I am looking for a sensor that can determine the thickness of paper and distinguish if there is one, two, or three etc..... pieces present at a
location. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Rich Weekly :) , Application Engineer
Barr-Thorp Electric
4305 S. 94th Street
Omaha, NE 68127
[email protected]
(402)-331-3312

B
Hi Rich,

We use a Keyence SH type sensor to do a similar job. They have a range of (SH type), sensors from which you should be able to select one to suit
your requirements. We actually lift three pieces of Mylar (of similar thickness to paper), together, using a vacuum arrangement. We then place them against a metal stop and sense a go/no go situation. Our test is to ensure that we have three pieces and not two or four.

Bryan Weir.

T

Terry Howsham none

I have seen a design for one in the series of books "Electronic circuit Encyclopedia".
So I suggest heading to Barnes & Nobel or Borders bookstore and check in the index.

Regards
Terry Howsham

T
1. Paper counting must not be thickness measurement!

2. Both can be done capacitive or mechanical

3. Optical is most famous but innaccurate way to do it

4. Best and very cheap and stable system for all printing materials ( transparencies, metallized papers etc..,20um till 1000mm is ultrasonic. But you only get the answer : more than one paper and no information about thickness or what is exactly more than one.

Thomas

B

Bruce T. Dobbie

It looks like you are looking for, based on my understanding, a sensor to detect a missing ply of paper during your process. If this is correct, then we certainly can provide a sensor to do that job. We have units installed which detect breaks, missing plys, splices, etc. in a variety of materials that are non-metallic in nature. If interested please contact us. Our web site is www.rkbopto.com. The equipment of interest would be our Model 1032 or 1032B. Sincerely Bruce T. Dobbie RKB OPTO-ELECTRONICS, INC. [email protected]

What I exactly need is to find out if there is more than one paper not the number of of papers. Bu the paper thichkness varies. If you solution is suitable would you let me know the types and names of the sensors I can use Thank you Sermet Evliya Turkey email [email protected]

T

Terry Howsham

So I suggest heading to Barnes & Nobel or Borders bookstore and check in the index.

Regards
Terry Howsham