Siemens OP17

P

Paul M

Hi, having a few problems with this Hmi (connected to a S5 115 PLC system).

The error raises its ugly head about every 5-10 minutes and is displayed as follows :-

$041 Transfer Error

I wonder if anyone could possibly shed some light on this, have already tried re downloading the configuration as suggested in the documentation but to no avail.

Secondly i would appreciate some info regarding setting up the so called "Standard Function Blocks", and how different values contained in the associated Data Blocks affect the communications between the PLC and HMI.

Any help would be appreciated

Paul Mann

M

Michael Griffin

On November 30, 2002, Paul Mann wrote: <clip>
> Hi, having a few problems with this Hmi (connected to a S5 115 PLC
> system).
>
> The error raises its ugly head about every 5-10 minutes and is displayed
> as follows :-
>
> $041 Transfer Error
>
> I wonder if anyone could possibly shed some light on this, have already
> tried re downloading the configuration as suggested in the documentation
> but to no avail.

I have a few suggestions. Check the quality of the cable construction. You might try testing it with another cable which temporarily installed (i.e. perhaps run across the floor to the PLC). You haven't mentioned what sort of interface you are using with this OP.

Check over the OP program to make sure you aren't polling for data at too high a rate. This includes the alarm and event words as well as the fields associated with any screens.

Finally, make sure you aren't pulling data from too many different areas at the same time. It is generally a good idea to concentrate your OP data into adjacent words in a data block dedicated for this purpose. I believe this is one of the recommendations in one of the Siemens manuals.

We've used a lot of Siemens OP17s (including with the S5-115U) and have had very little trouble with them.

> Secondly i would appreciate some info regarding setting up the so called
> "Standard Function Blocks", and how different values contained in the
> associated Data Blocks affect the communications between the PLC and
> HMI.
<clip>

There is an initialisation value which you write into the data block used by the communications FB. This is typically done via OB21 or OB22 (the OBs which are called on PLC start up). Other than that, there isn't really anything to control from the PLC end unless you are trying to trigger "jobs". You just make sure you call the standard FB every scan of your program so that it has a chance to do its work.

--

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada

G

Gabriele Corrieri

Hi Paul,

I usually use OP7 and 17 connected to a S7 plc, but it's always OP17!

First you must be check if ordernumber is:

6AV3617-1JC00-0AX1

otherwise isn't suitable to connect to S5 plc.

$041 error is meaning of disturbed comm between plc and op, if the error appear ramdomly I suggest you to check connection cable, shielding, check op with short cable, I think that is cable problem.

IN only one time (in over ten years of op istallation) I have found connector with problem, I explain: the electrician that have wired-up op to electrical box has routed op cable with large measure, so this cable has maked force to connector, that has a intermittent failures (I don't remember error code) ... two days for found problem !

Best Regards

Gabriele Corrieri

K

K. Dembowski

You are not alone. I as well have the problems with the communication OP17 with S5 115 943. I checked the connection, I put it inside a metal tube, I put very good ground, I checked the setup in the software with Siemens HotLine, at the end I changed PLC and cable - nothing to do. Display is losing communication once a week. Siemens sugested me to buy another OP...

Good Luck
K.DEMBOWSKI

D

Donald Pittendrigh

HI All

If you use these OP's and TD's you are well advised to use the Profibus DP interface versions, they give NO trouble by comparison. It is not that the serial ones are not reliable, they are, but the FAP (free ASCII Protocol) is much more difficult to set up and deal with, whereas the Profibus is almost transparent.

Regards Donald Pittendrigh