Siemens or Mitsubishi?

P

Pierre

Hi, I'm electronician working in radio Astronomy.
Tired of inventing the wheel again and again (typical research labs trade off), I would use
PLC's for receivers and antenna control. I'm
new to it, and don't want to make bad choices.
What I need is: solid, widely available brand
(thus Siemens or Mitsubishi), modularity, choice
of models (to match astronomer's moods...) and network communication easy (the master will
likely be in a VME 19"rack -422 or 485 or whatever). Ideas?
Thanks in advance. Great board.

PS. Low noise emission a plus (well, E.T. is far...thus sensibility of the receivers....)

P

Peter Nachtwey

I would go with the Siemens because of the Profibus DP capability. The VME rack can have a SST VME Profibus DP master to communicate with the S7s over Profibus.

See SST at http://www.sstech.on.ca

Peter Nachtwey

R
OMRON as an option!!

I would also consider looking at Omron as an excellent product, supported world wide. They manufacture great PLC systems which can be as simple as a micro through to a large system, local I/O or distributed I/O. They also have a very comprehensive range of sensors, switches controllers etc etc.

They would most likely have all the components you would require to control your antennas and more.

worth a look: oeiweb.omron.com

R.

T
Having used both Siemens & Mitsubishi PLC's, I would go for the Siemens in a heartbeat. The Siemens software is more user friendly than the Mitsubishi software.

M
> Having used both Siemens & Mitsubishi PLC's, I would go for the Siemens in a heartbeat. The Siemens software is more user friendly than the Mitsubishi software. I would go with Siemens. Profibus up to 12Mb/s. High noise/signal ratio on distance up to 100 meters cable, 2000 meters optic fiber. Multiple CPU capability.Fast remote I/O + profiDP. Regards. Michael Fox. Automation consultant. 21 century-fox inc.

Siemens, Siemens, Siemens, I have worked with both and Mit. is not even in Siemens class. Also note that Mit. advertise 4-20ma cap. but I have found this not to be true, and the analog setup for 0-10 is not easy.

> Hi, I'm electronician working in radio Astronomy.
Tired of inventing the wheel again and again (typical research labs trade off), I would use
PLC's for receivers and antenna control. I'm
new to it, and don't want to make bad choices.
What I need is: solid, widely available brand
(thus Siemens or Mitsubishi), modularity, choice
of models (to match astronomer's moods...) and network communication easy (the master will
likely be in a VME 19"rack -422 or 485 or whatever). Ideas?
Thanks in advance. Great board.

PS. Low noise emission a plus (well, E.T. is far...thus sensibility of the receivers....)

T

Thinks Mitsubishi is better

MITSUBISHI can do Profibus as master and slave.
Can use Shoebox FX2N or A series for profibus modules. Can also use GSM module on FX2N shoebox. Siemans are more difficult for FP maths. You could also use CClink at 10Mbps which has a MUCH higher throughput than profibus. The Mitsubishi software MEDOC+ is much more user friendly than siemans and alot easier to use, ANYBODY WHO FINDS IT DIFFICULT TO USE SHOULD NOT BE PROGRAMMING PLC'S AT ALL.