Siemens PPI protocol

L

Luigi Faccio

hi to all listers,

i am appealing again to your patience. Days ago when scouring the various topics, i happened on a reply that states the code of Siemens documentation that describes PPI protocol for the S7-2xx series.Unfortunately i did not write down the reference, so now i need this reference and the following research thru the topics was unfruitful. May anyone kindly reply about the document reference? Grazie in advance
Luigi

J

Jerry Miille

The document number was:

The published PPI protocol part number is 6ES7 298-8GA00-8XH0.

Please let me know if you can get it. I have tried (and failed)

Thanks,

Jerry Miille

The Siemens part number for the PPI Communications manual is 6ES7 298-8GA00-8XH0. This may not be avaiable from Siemens any more but was part of a driver development kit.

R
> The published PPI protocol part number is 6ES7 298-8GA00-8XH0.

Thats the order number, but it costs $3000 **AND** you must enter into a formal agreement which limits what you may actually do with this information. Great hey...........

Why don't we just reverse engineer this beast?

Arrivideci in anticipo dei problemi di seguito;-)

L

Luigi Faccio

That would be not a bad idea. I am learning now how to program Siemens controllers (currently the good S7-200, but in the future i want to take on the S7-300 series), and so far one thing has been very clear to me: unless Omron, who publish their protocol and let users with enuff skills to build their applications, Siemens tends to think you have one way or another to come to them for any information not explicitly reacheble on manuals. If you are in Italy, where use of Siemens stuff is widespread, is easy to find some individuals who have worked on a particular topic and willing to help you, but if you are in some other areas (i am currently working in Guangdong province, China), the situation is not easy. The purpose of my question about PPI was exactly to gather information to write some kind of interface using Visual Basic, without resorting to freeport programming. I know there are some good commercial examples of OCXses for communicating, but i think it is better doing something by yourself, having all the necessary informations to do it, rather than buying outside (mr. Irving will surely recognize Italian mentality on that :).
So, this is a message for anyone: why not provide all the information (with all the legal provisions of course) and have kind of a online reference for communications protocols like Omron Hostlink and Fins, Siemens, AB, etc. etc.??

Sperando di non avere troppi problemi in seguito :)

R

Ralph Mackiewicz

Why isn't this an economic decision? Why is it better to write it yourself when you can spend alot less money and buy a good commercial OCX that does it already? I suppose that this depends on what your time is worth. In my situation, time is about the only thing I don't have enough of! Just enough for a few postings now and then ;-)

Regards,
Ralph Mackiewicz
SISCO, Inc.