SIEMENS S5 UPGRADE

F

fido

We've been using DOS based Simatic S5 PLC in our company. Since we're using LAN now with Windows NT as the operating system, we want to use a Window based software for Simatic S5. Is there any windows based software for S5 available in the market? Another thing, can we use S7 software to program a S5 plc? If posible, how can we do it. Thanks.

D

D. C. Pittendrigh`

Hi All >>I have problem upgrading our 11 S5 PLC using Windows NT flatform. The PLC doesn't need to be upgraded, the programmer does. >>We've been using DOS based Simatic S5 PLC in our company. Since we're using LAN now with Windows NT as the operating system, we want to use a Window based software for Simatic S5. Is there any windows based software for S5 >>available in the market? For NT you must use Step 5 version 7.14, the latest from Siemens, the other versions will not be easy to operate with NT and is not recommended by Siemens. The program will run on an NT operating system but it is not really "windows based" per se. You are probably better off with dual booting your machine and running the step 5 under Win95 (this is my opinion based on hard and bitter experience, based on my desire for one-upmanship, and to be the first boy on the block with a Win2000 Programming unit, man do I regret that decision, it was stupider than deciding to smoke my first cigarette). >>Another thing, can we use S7 software to program a S5 plc? If posible, how can we do it. Definitely not possible, very very unfortunately!!!!! There are other S5 programming packages in the market place for programming S5, my advice is pay the price and stay with the Siemens originals. Regards Donald Pittendrigh

M

Michael Bouchal

Hi there, you only have to use the Step5 V7.14. This Version is able to run under WinNT (I'm using it since this Version was released an it works fine!) with best regards

J

Joseph Luft, FasTrak SoftWorks, Inc.

FasTrak SoftWorks provides Windows software for programming the Simatic S5 processors. PLC WorkShop for Siemens S5 Windows can easily import your Step5 files and runs on Windows NT as well as Windows 95, 98, 2000, and Millenium. You can download a demo of this software from our website at www.fast-soft.com. Please call me (1-414-358-8088) if you have any questions. Thanks. Joe Joseph Luft ([email protected]) FasTrak SoftWorks, Inc. P.S. You won't be able to program your S5 processors with S7 programming software as the processors are significantly different.

H

Hakan Ozevin

> >>Another thing, can we use S7 software to program a S5 plc? If posible, how can we do it. > > Definitely not possible, very very unfortunately!!!!! > > There are other S5 programming packages in the market place for programming S5, my advice is pay the price and stay with the Siemens originals. There is a program from a German company which you can use both for S5 and S7, but I agree with you to stay in Siemens originals because this software does not support integration of ad-ons. Unfortunately Siemens S5 is still in a DOS window and therefore does not support NT. I believe that Siemens did almost nothing additional starting from PCPM version of S5. If you look at the the price of the software, they should have done much more. I think they have already gained a lot from this SW, and it should be free of charge from now on. It is also to be discussed if a software that is only used to program your PLC (Siemens, A-B, Omron and others) and thus makes your PLC to be sold, should have a price or be free of charge. Best regards, Hakan Ozevin

You can't program S5 PLC by using S7 software. The best way is to upgrade your S5 PLC with S7. Depending upon requirements S7-300 or S7-400 could be selected. There is software available for converting codes of S5 to S7. The source file thus generated can be compiled after removing errors into S7 Executeable program. Imran Shabbir

M

Michael Griffin

IBHsoftec (http://www.s5w.via.t-online.de) makes a package which combines S5 and S7 (300 & 400) programming. They treat the S7-300 & 400 as if they were new S5 CPUs. I haven't used it or seen it, so I don't personally know how good it is. The S7-200 is of course, a completely different PLC (much easier to program), and so has nothing in common with the S5 or S7-300 & 400. Fido [email protected] wrote: <clip> >I have problem upgrading our 11 S5 PLC using Windows NT flatform. > >We've been using DOS based Simatic S5 PLC in our company. Since we're >using LAN now with Windows NT as the operating system, we want to use a >Window >based software for Simatic S5. Is there any windows based software for S5 >available in the market? Another thing, can we use S7 software to program a >S5 plc? If posible, how can we do it. <clip> ********************** Michael Griffin London, Ont. Canada [email protected] **********************

D

D. C. Pittendrigh

HI All >>There is a program from a German company which you can use both for S5 and >>S7, but I agree with you to stay in Siemens originals because this >>software does not support integration of ad-ons. This is the main reason for my earlier comment however good reason no. 2 is that some non-Siemens products use bad program structuring techniques which can lead to cycle time problems, must admit I have only dealt with one such problem in 20 years, however it was enough to put me off ever. >>Unfortunately Siemens S5 is still in a DOS window and therefore does not >>support NT. I believe that Siemens did almost nothing additional starting >>from PCPM version of S5. If you look at the the price of the software, they >>should have done much more. I think they have already gained a lot from >>this SW, and it should be free of charge from now on. Version 7.11 (may have) and 7.14 have been released for NT. They do run in DOS mode. They are quite difficult to set up correctly, hence my earlier comment that the potential user is well advised to make a dual boot system with 95 and NT and stick to running S5 under Win 95, which is where it works most reliably. If you want to see real stability you should try using this old CPM version with a CPM operating system, it just never crashes, I won't try and tell you I still use CPM but it just brought back some good old memories. >>It is also to be discussed if a software that is only used to program your >>PLC (Siemens, A-B, Omron and others) and thus makes your PLC to be sold, >>should have a price or be free of charge. I reckon after selling this package for so much money, with so little development, to so many people, for such a long time, they ought to pay us a commission to use it, this is the nemesis of open systems we are talking about here. Regards Donald Pittendrigh

(PG95) It works better than Siemens!!!
PG95 opens the whole block, which makes it a lot easier when fault finding.