Siemens S7 and Allen-Bradley Point I/o

J

JK

Need to interface Allen-Bradley Point I/O ethernet with Siemens S7. Can this be done, if so what steps required?

P

Patrick Lansdorf

J

James Ingraham

There is no easy way to control Allen-Bradley Point I/O from a Siemens S7. (300, 400? In this case it doesn't matter, but it's always best to be as specific as possible.) The basic problem is that A-B and Siemens deliberately do not make their products interopable. Point I/O uses EtherNet/IP and Siemens will only talk ProfiNet.

There is at least one solution available; an AnyBus-X gateway can look like a ProfiNet I/O device to the S7 PLC and acts as a scanner to the Point I/O.

See http://www.anybus.com/products/products.asp?PID=372&ProdType=Anybus X-gateway

I have not tried ProfiNet to EtherNet/IP, but I have used their Modbus/TCP to Profibus scanner with reasonable success.

Incidentally, Point I/O is available on Profibus, though not ProfiNet. You might try that as an alternative.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

T

Tibor Hajnal

The easiest way would be over the profibus. AB is providing a point i/o profibus adapter. You can exchange the Ethernet module with the profibus one. That should work for sure and you can keep at least the I/O modules.

I dont know about the existing Ethernet wiring. How difficult it is to exchange it with profibus.

Its just an option you can think on. I dont have any better idea right now.

With Best Regards.