Siemens Simatic Software

M

M.Byrne

Just had to load Windows XP on my desktop as '98 Explorer died a sudden and unexpected death !! Having some fun with a few different softwares as they do not want to play with XP but wondering if anyone out there is using Step 7 on a XP platform and has had any problems ?? I am informed that Siemens will not have an upgrade for XP until November.. GX Developer & E-Designer seem to be OK......so far !

D

Daniel Chartier

Hello;
We've been running a few software packages on XP for over a month now. On my machien, I have Strep 5 v. 7.02, Microwin v. 3.1, Step 7 v. 5.1, Protool v. 6.0 and WinCC v. 5.0. I program and download without problem.
The only strange situation we had was after the installation of the WinCC: it replaced a Windows XP security dll (GINA) by a modified version of NT's GINA.dll. So now whenever I reboot, I get a message box claiming that my installed GINA is not of the correct version. I just accept the statement and continue the reboot; the system showns no other problem.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

R

Ranjan Acharya

> We've been running a few software packages on
> XP for over a month now. On my machien, I have > Strep 5 v. 7.02, Microwin v. 3.1, Step 7 v. 5.1,
> Protool v. 6.0 and WinCC v. 5.0. I program and > download without problem.

Sounds awful.

To eliminate "Strep 5" from your PC, you will need an anti-bacterial software package as well as your typical anti-virus software package. Be
careful to keep it running for at least 14 days lest your streptococcus infection develop an immunity to the anti-bacterial engine.

:)

Eliminating the underlying problem - Windows XP - requires a thorough purge, I would suggest watching "The Road to Wellville" and then installing the cure - Linux.

RA

M

Maguire, Kevin

Hello Sir,

You are correct that Siemens has stated that XP support will be available in November.

Although it seems like a long time to get XP support, but there is a good reason. (this sounds like an excuse - it is, but a good one)

Siemens' Totally Integrated Automation philosophy requires that all of the add-on software needs to be tested to work in an integrated configuration
before Siemens states that the software is compliant to a particular version of an operating system.

Most times, the software will work, but until system testing with all of these packages is complete, Siemens will say that the OS version is not supported.

The add-on pkgs. that can be integrated into one automation project with Step7-Simatic Manager are:

Step7 Engineering Tools (Continuous Function Charts, Structured Text, Sequential Function Chart, Flow Chart programming languages)

PLC Sim - Simulation software to test logic without hardware.

DrivesES - Siemens' drive commisioning, configuration and maintenance software-integrated with Step7.

WinCC - Siemens' SCADA software that can integrate with Step7 and provides direct tag database sharing as well as integrated graphic-to-logic-code links.

WinCC Option pkgs. - There are about a dozen option pkgs. that work with WinCC.

ProTool - Siemens' HMI panel configuration software that can integrate with Step7 and provides direct tag database sharing as well as integrated graphic-to-logic-code links.

In addtion to the software, there are the S7 300, S7400, SlotPLC and WinAC (PC-Control) that is programmed with Step7 that needs to be tested.

Sincerely,

Kevin C. Maguire
Regional Business Development Manager
Siemens Energy & Automation
847-839-3224

D

David Vincent

Well, we're in December now and Step 7 is still dodgy with XP, and not that good with 2000 either through a serial port.

When are the clouds going to lift??

Dave Vincent
Technical Director