Simple model-based control example

R

Rupert

Hello,

I am new to model-based control and would like to get hold of a simple example that I could implement, or a pointer to the programming code.

Could anyone point me to such an example?

H

Hans H. Eder

Just playing with some code will not help you much. The better way is:

a) To learn about the technology and the various quite different approaches (first principles or black box modeling, different model formulations, controller design like AMC, PFC, IMC, DMC, etc.) and the decision / selection criteria

b) Select a suitable first application, best a single loop (e.g. an existing loop where the PID is struggling with long dead time) or max a 2x2 case (2 inputs, 2 outputs). Never start with a large scale multi-variable control scheme

c) Select the most suitable MBC approach for your case

d) Familiarize yourself specifically with the chosen approach.

We have a training course specifically on the practical use of MBC, a small scale model based controller (2x2 plus up to 2 feedforwards) and also the tools for process parameter estimation etc. They are very affordable, yet not for free.

For more info go to www.act-control.com and see the pages on “Training”, “Technology”, “Software - PID tuning”.

Hans H. Eder
ACT
[email protected]

Good advice.

to the original question, all control is model based.

> Just playing with some code will not help you much. The better way is:

> a) To learn about the technology and the various quite different approaches
> (first principles or black box modeling, different model formulations, controller
> design like AMC, PFC, IMC, DMC, etc.) and the decision / selection criteria.
----- snipped by moderator -----