Simple power monitoring problem.

I

Ian Laux

Hello,
Here is my problem, I need to monitor my facilities power demand from two locations on site. I only need the power demand in real time(1 min is OK), no other parameters. I have local power monitors in have now that have RS485 conectivity (Multitek units). I need to find software that will allow the data to be accessed from other computers on the plant site in real time (these are on an ethernet). I have seen the SIEServe and WinPM software from Siemens, but they are overkill for my app. I also have the Enode program from Veris Ind. ( "www.veris.com":http://www.veris.com ) to use with their RS485 power monitors but with this software the data can only be seen on the computer recording the data. If there is no software I believe you can link the Enode program to a database, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Thanks in advance,
Ian Laux

S

Stephen Lowis

I have dealt with many very similar problems to the one you are asking about. Most power meters that I deal with are Modbus capable. I have written many simple applications in VB that collect data from Modbus Slaves (ie. PLCs, power monitors etc) and dump the data in a Microsoft Access database using ODBC with a timestamp. I have found that this is the easiest and cheapest way of doing what you want. The database can then be accessed by the web or network. Typically, I create an ODBC User DSN that points to the database over the network or whatever on the client PCs. I then make another Access database which contains all the queries and forms and reports that are used to present the data. This database includes a linked table to the database where the collected data is stored.

This is cheaper than putting in a full blown SCADA app and once you have done one, you can resuse the code time and again.

For the Modbus Active X component used in the data collecting app, I would recommend In-Gear's Modbus Active X component Modicon Pro Plus.

A different option would be to use a program such as MDBus which is a DDE capable modbus program - a very useful one in fact. Although you could use any DDE capable app that could collect your data from the power meters. You could then setup NetDDE and access real time data from the power meters using NetDDE. Of course there would not be any historical data like with the DB option...

Hope this helps.

E
MOXA has a product called the DE-311 which is a serial to ethernet converter. After installation and setup configuration, you wind up with a DE-311 at the power monitor and a DE-311 at the PC. At this point the remote power monitor appears to the PC as a local serial port. This allows you to run any comunications software that the power monitor supplier has provided to you to down load the data. Each remote monitor appears on a different com port to the pc. If you have any questions, contact me.

Erich Mertz
[email protected]