Simulating algorithms using Siemens S7

C

Carlos

Hello automation experts,

I have a long pipeline process; one flow meter is measuring in the inlet and other in the outlet. One S7-300 PLC it is located at each extreme. The objective it is to detect any fluid leakage between the pipeline ends.

Previous to programming we are simulating algorithms, one of the best it is based on FFT (Fast Fourier Transform).

Question: exist any way of making the FFT analysis of 128 samples using the S7 capabilities? Alternatives: any mathematical, or DSP coprocessor, pluggable to S7-300 backplane? to Profibus DP?

Regards
Carlos Gonzalez

Hello Carlos;

I don't know of any integrated library (either from Siemens or Oscat.de) that will compute the FFT in a S7-400 CPU, or any specific hardware that you can plug over Profibus or Industrial Ethernet, or the S7 backplane.

The only think I can think of is Matlab, with or without Simulink, connected over OPC to Step 7. This arrangement would not only be useful for the simulation of the process, but could be used to provide mathematical model implementation during runtime.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

C

curt wuollet

This is one of many cases where it would be easier to add PLC functionality to a PC than it would be to add PC functionality to a PLC. IFF the box count matters.

regards
cww