simulation of HART communication

T

tommmyyy

Is it possible to simulate the HART communication? I have a flow computer which is connected with pressure and temperature transducers in the place of installation. The communication among transducers and a flow computer uses HART protocol. In the laboratory I have no transducer with HART communication and that is why I would like to simulate the HART communication. Is it possible? Can I use for this purpose for example HART communicator 475

http://www2.emersonprocess.com/en-us/brands/fieldcommunicator/475fc/Pages/475FieldCommunicator.aspx

Thank you in advance for your answers.

The 475 is a handheld communicator that acts as a HART master.

I am unaware of any 475 function to simulate a process variable when the 475 is not even connected to a field device.

But considering the cost of a 475, you can buy a HART pressure transmitter and a temperature transmitter for a fraction of the cost of a 475 and get real process data.

If you're a grad student with no cost associated with your labors, you could probably poke around the internet and find enough info on producing an FSK HART signal through a HART modem on a serial or USB port. Or even make your own HART modem from a HART chip. Or even layout your own HART circuit and etch your boards.

Interesting what's buried in a manual.

I wonder whether the 475's 'simulate' mode includes modulating the HART output connection line during a simulation. It might or might not, since the assumption of a simulation is that the handheld is not connected to anything. So even if you 'force' the analog output in simulation mode, is the HART comm active? Maybe someone else here knows.

I'm not sure whether one HART master (handheld) can talk to a 2nd HART master (Floboss). I know that they can co-exist on a multidrop line, but actually listen to one another? I don't know. and the Config 600 manual raises the issue (tossing it in tech support's lap):

pg 95 (pdf) Config 600 Software User Manual:
"Also, the HART module reads only the HART digital signal, not the channel. If you require both, you must physically wire the HART signal to an ADC and HART channel.

By default, the S600+ acts as the primary HART master. Ensure there is no other primary master connected to the channel. For dual master support or instructions on how to set the S600+ to secondary master, contact technical support."

The first Config 600 software statement (above) might provide a work-around, depending on what you're trying to achieve, wiring 4-20 signals to analog inputs, rather than using HART inputs.

Why do you need to use HART when you don't even have HART transmitters?

> Why do you need to use HART when you don't even have HART transmitters?

In my laboratory I have only a flow computer. I just want to test if a flow computer (FloBoss S600) is able to work and to measure correctly when the flow computer will be installed in other place. The transducers with HART communication will be delivered to the place of installation a there the complete measuring system will be connected. I just want to simulate for example the value (-25°C) from temperature transducer (with HART output) to the HART input of a flow computer and then to check all calculations in a flow computer.

I don't think that you will find a device that can simulate a HART slave.

A converter such as the Nivelco Unicont PDF may be useful for your needs, it can convert 4-20 mA current values to HART.

The 475's simulation feature is only to simulate a device that is not present for itself (the 475), I believe. It will not act as a HART slave responding to some other HART master.

Regards,
Chris