Sinec L1

J

John Jensen

I want to be sure DF 32-L1 PCI card and OPC Server from Comsoft is easy to use and reliable.

I also want to know if Comsoft provides good support and service.

Thanks

D

Donald Pittendrigh

Hi All

However reliable the L1 interfaces software and OPC server, you are using an interface that Siemens has already given end of life status in a PLC which is incidentally to be discontinued over the next 2 - 3 years as well.

Perhaps time to take the opportunity to upgrade!!!

Regards
Donald Pittendrigh

D

Donald Pittendrigh

Hi All

Of course your comment is not rude, technically that is the answer 90% of the people on the list would think but perhaps not write, I personally prefer the direct approach, so I will give you as direct an answer as I can, without the advice.

I have only experienced L1 communications to SCADA on one plant, it used Fix dmacs SCADA and an interface module made by someone else and recommended by Siemens. It was an itch to set up and all but impossible to find out why it wasn't working when it stopped. It gave a lot of trouble because it worked on a mailbox principle and the mailbox kept on getting broken and needing a re-start of the PLC and or the SCADA PC, presumably something would get out of synch and the communications handlers would not deal with the exception correctly and restart.

The plant now runs Citect or InTouch, I am not sure which and interfaces to the PLC's via ethernet, the reason why I am not sure which one, is that since one of my colleagues made this change no-one has been back to the plant and we cannot remember which SCADA.

Hence my advice of previous email.

Regards
Donald Pittendrigh