SLC 150

R

Randall Moser

I need software to download a program from SLC 150. We want to update the hardware to SLC 150. Is there anyway to convert this code from SLC 150 to SLC 500? Thanks for any help.

The software that you need for the slc 150 is pcis.exe. It is a dos based editor that is very much obsolete. So obsolete, that I have problems running it on newer pc's.

Unfortunately, I do not know of an easy way to translate the slc 150 programs to slc 500. RSLogix is the editor which you will need to program the 500.

Good Luck

I looked into this a while back, couldn't find a program converter from SLC150 to other ladder formats, and doubt one exists since the SLC150 didn't have much memory (at least, in terms of modern PLCs), and hence couldn't have very big programs. It shouldn't be too much of a problem to re-key the code into a replacement PLC.

If you already have a SLC150 hand-held "pocket") programmer I'd suggest:
1. stepping through the program and writing out the ladder logic and I/O assignments into a notebook
2. go through and annotate the ladder with new I/O assignments and tag names appropriate to the replacement PLC.
3. re-key the program.

This way you don't need to buy anything for the conversion. If you don't have a hand-held programmer then check out eBay ...seller "plcinfo" makes the special cable required to connect PLC to computer, and usually the software as well. Be aware you almost certainly won't have good results running PCIS on computers using WinXP (and probably Win2000), but I was successful running it on Win98SE, and it'll certainly work on a plain DOS box.

Probably a good idea to go to the A-B site and download 1745-um001_-en-p.pdf (Publication 1745-800 User's Manual) for SLC-150 reference.

If you haven't already purchased the SLC500 (or otherwise have one handy) for this retrofit, and you want to stay with Allen-Bradley I'd suggest using one of the Micrologix series PLCs instead of the SLC500.

1. The SLC500 is physically larger than the 150, but the Micro series is about the same size, so there is less possibility of running out of
"footprint".

2. Depending on the series (1100, 1200, or 1500) they are less expensive than a '500. For instance, I looked at the cost of doing a project using a SLC500 (PS2 power supply, 5/03 processor, 4 slot rack, and one 16 bit AC input and TRIAC output card each), and then using the '1100 (1763-L16AWA PLC base - 10 AC in/6 relay out/2 analog in, (2) 8 bit AC input, and (2) 8 bit TRIAC output modules), and ended up having > $1000 cost difference in favor of the Micrologix.

3. The '500 has been around for a long time (if memory serves, since the late '80s) which suggests A-B will soon begin pricing them higher to steer folks to newer models, and to obsolete older processors (fixed SLC500s, and 5/01 CPU cards probably first on the chopping block).

The Micrologix 1100 in it's present incarnation doesn't support much expansion I/O (I think its four 1762 series modules, and the AC ones are
limited to 8 points each - i.e. - 1762-IA8, 1762-OA8), and the ladder can't be edited while in run mode. However, if the application is small enough, it may still be a good choice ... it does have an Ethernet port as well as a serial port, a rudimentary and limited HMI screen built-in, and can be programmed using current versions of RSL.

T

Trevor Ousey \(List\)

The software will run on XP (SP1), but I have heard some people not being able to get it to run on Win2k or XP. You will need the hardware interface to connect to the SLC150. The software is around, search through the archives here, along with the manual. I would just manually convert it to a SLC5, the program will not be that big.