SLC 5/03 comm with Mitsubishi via RS485

T

Tom Treat

I am wondering if anyone has notes for the AB end of this type of communication. The SLC 5/03 has an available DH 485 port. I would like to connect my Mitsubishi FX1n w/rs 485 module I need to pass two variables between them, but I do not know how. If someone has writen an application like this, I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Tom Treat

C

Colin Carpenter

Have you looked at the "Babel Box" protocol converter from Red Lion Controls? Might solve the problem?

A

Alan Hartwell

The main problem using the SLC 5/03 RS-485 port will be that only A-B protocols are supported. I am not familiar with what protocols the Mitsubishi supports. You might consider a third-party communications module in the SLC such as made by ProSoft Technologies ( see "www.psft.com":http://www.psft.com ). They support a wide range of protocols, one of which may cooperate with the Mitsubishi.

If high data speed is not a concern, you could use a discrete output on one PLC wired to a compatible discrete input on the other. You can simulate serial communications with appropriate ladder logic on both PLCs using shift registers
and timers. I have used this method successfully on widely disparate PLCs at a blazing 5 bits per second.

S

Steve Myres, PE

It might be easier for you to use an ASCII BASIC module. Then you can define the protocol, and program in BASIC rather than using MSG instructions.