SLC 5/03 Comms default

A

Anonymous

I have 3 SLC 5/03 that have been sitting in my cupboard for a while (programs dumped, battery flat, etc.) usually connect on serial port but none of them will connect on the 232 port now. Is there anyway to ractivate the port or do I need to get a PIC?

M

Michael E. Crossman

The port is on by default. Try the following parameters;

DF1 Full Duplex
Baud 1200
Parity NONE
Stop Bits 1
No Handshaking
Error Detection CRC

If all else fails try the “Autoconfig” on RSLinx usually works great.

Good luck,

Michael E. Crossman
PLC’s Plus International, Inc.
http://www.bkppi.com

E

Eduardo Manuel C. Cipriano

Dear Sir,
There are 2 ways to change your protocol 1st is you will need a 1747-PIC cable if you want to change the rs232 port from DF1 to DH485 since te default protocol of the rs232 is DF1 if your RS232 is connected to a Panelview with DH485 you need the PIC cale to change it.

But the easiest way is to 1st configure your communication configuration in the RSlinx to DF1 autodetect once you gain access you can change the 232 protocol to D485 an apply then your df1 comms will immediatelly be lost since you change it .....

Eduardo Manuel C. Cipriano
Mheco Inc.
Rockwell Automation
System Integrator
(063) 8448901

J

Jerry Miille

They should come alive again but it might be a little challenging to find the magic settings. The default communication configurations differ, depending on the version of your firmware (it is flash upgradable).

But, you should be able to connect using RSLINX and letting it "auto configure". However, I do recall a problem in some versions with auto configure that did not detect low baud rates correctly. I think this applied to 1200 or possibly 2400 baud. If all else fails, try these two speeds.

The PIC might also be an option depending on your computer. They will not work with a USB to serial converter. You will need a "real" serial port and that can be problematic. I have a new DELL and a PC card that gives me two serial ports and I have been unable to make it work with the PIC. I can go on line with the serial ports however.

Jerry Miille