SLC 5/03 DH485/RS232 to DH+ Panelview 900

J

James Porter

Hello,

I have a SLC 5/03 processor that has a DH485 comm port and an RS232 com port, I have a Panelview 900 that has a DH+ comm port. Can anyone tell me what interface module I will need to get these to communicate with each other?

Thanks,
James Porter

There probably is some frankenstein why to make those work, but you'll spend more money and time doing it that it is even close to worth... you either need to get a SLC 5/04 procesor which has DH+ on it, or get a panelview that has dh-485 or DF1 on it. There is no simple convertor to go from DH+ to anything.

HOWEVER, I do recommend getting a SLC 5/04 processor because DH+ is much faster than either dh-485 or df1.

tech_guru

The most feasible option is to utilize the Rockwell Step Forward program to upgrade the CPU to a SLC 5/04.

S

ScienceOfficer

James---

Your on-hand PanelView900 is looking for a DH+ connection, and you don't have one. You could implement a bridge, but the PV900 wouldn't work gracefully with it. This bill of material just doesn't work.

Technically, there are solutions, but all of them are hideously more expensive than simply upgrading to a new PV1000 appropriate for the project and selling the old PV900 on EBay. If disposing of the old product on EBay
is difficult for your organization, Rockwell will do the upgrade and issue a 10% credit for the return of the old unit; see details at

http://www.ab.com/stepforward/oiupgrade.html

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver
Rexel / Central Florida

F

FACTORY AUTOMATION SYSTEMS LTD.

Dear James,

Most panelview 900 do have an RS232 port that you can connect to your SLC 5/03. Check the one you have.

Rgds,
Gabriel

Y

Y.K.JARIWALA

Very confusing situation, which should not have occured, probably you are trying to clean up your inventory with additional functionality.

Yes there is Gateway available through PLC 5, where you can mount Rack mounted card, do not remeber the model no, which directly accepts input from either DH485/DF1 protocol & Panel view 900 would communicate to PLC 5 on Datahighway PLus. But this is involving too much of engineering labour & again dealing with 1900 century product, where support would be very difficult. The details of the same is available in the general catalogue of AB.

Best option to this is buy a third party HMI panel with all the functionality of SCADA & direct communication facility with DH 485, The approx range could be less than US $1000 = 00.

We do not understand what is your constraint or logic of DH + only as mode of communication.

If you require any further clarification do not hesitate to contact us.

Jari
[email protected]

B

Bob Peterson

best idea is to send the PV900 back and get one with DH485 or DF1 instead. you could use some kind of bridge but these can be pricey and slow, and difficult to get running.

T

Trevor Ousey \(BJH\)

Change the SLC5/03 to a SLC5/04, or change to a RS232 DF1 or DH458 panleview. You could try to bridge with other devices but it will probably be more expensive.

Try an AIC link module, we used one of these in a project involving a DH485 network and a labview interface/front end. Price wise I think we are looking at 500 including cable (make sure you get the right cable I cant rember the P/N but it is very long - over 10 feet as opposed to the three foot one)

Have you looked into a AB NET-AIC, you might get what you need for a few hundred dollars, check out e-bay, I have sold some similar stuff

Don