Smooth motor, variable speed push/pull

• Thread starter Christopher Fetters
  • Start date
C

Christopher Fetters

I am trying to control the smooth pan of a professional video camera mounted on an aluminum plate.

The camera weighs approx. 6lbs.
I need to control a horizontal pan of 12" over 2 seconds min and much longer in a slow pan. So, the solution must be variable speed.
Finger control of speed would be great with some sort of full motion toggle.
Obviously it must push and pull.
It would be great if it could "take off" and "land" softly.
DC 12V power supplies/batteries are easy to come by in the video business, but I'd explore other power options.
Size is a concern. Price is too. But, I'll compromise the last two for more smoothness, less vibration, and better control of speed.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Yours,

Chris
I'd love any suggestions for products.

D

David Corliss

There is a DC motor controller IC which has a soft start feature. That is, the turn on voltage is 'ramped up' so that you avoid abrupt changes in motor speed. In order to achieve a reasonably smooth 'stop', you would have to gradually decrease the pulse width modulation by means of a potentiometer. ... It ought to do what you want.

I have been looking for an excuse to build a prototype. Let me know if you are interested.

[email protected]

Chris, there are many products available on the market for this exact application. You might give Camera Support a call in Burbank California 818 557 1400 / ask for Gary.
Ken Brown
Applied Motion Systems, Inc.
http:/www.kinemation.com