Software for sniffing AND/OR master simulation

R

Robert

Can anybody recommend a good PC-program that work as a terminal program for the serial port that got functionality to sort messages on ID, register etc. It should be able to sniff communication.

And be able to send modbus messages as a master. (not necessarily the same software). I have tested a few, but many of them cant find my COM-port even though almost every terminal program finds it and show the communication. But as plain text so it is not so easy to interpret the info.

> Can anybody recommend a good PC-program that work as a terminal program for the
> serial port that got functionality to sort messages on ID, register etc. It
> should be able to sniff communication.

The Simply Modbus Master works good for me. You can save a config file as tabbed text to load into excel that includes the last data polled. The sorting can be done in Excel. You can also set the timeout to something really large to allow you to monitor the serial port and observe any traffic. It sends a request first, but you can either send it to a non-existing slave so it gets ignored, or disconnect the Tx line so you are monitoring Rx only.

The Slave program may be a better choice for observing serial port traffic since it doesn't send a request over the line first. Just set it's Slave ID to something unused so it it will not reply to any requests.