Speedtronic Mk4 Arcnet OPC Server?

C

Chris

In considering options for our existing PC HMI setup, we started looking into the possibility of interfacing our MK4s directly with ABB 800M's as part of our DCS upgrade. As we are unclear if our existing HMI will be compatible with the new DCS. Talking to ABB, apparently what we need is an opc server software solution that will work w/ arcnet / mk IV. Have any of you seen this?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no OPC Server software that communicates directly to a Mark IV, but perhaps our resident Matrikon contributor, Wassim Daoud, can tell us for certain if Matrikon offers such a thing.

And it would also depend on what you want to do with this communication link. Are the Mark IVs presently communicating in some way with your DCS? If so, is it by MODBUS or the Mark IV DataDump (a simple one-way dump of pre-configured data values at a periodic rate via a serial link (RS-232)?

Lastly, do your Mark IVs presently have the remote <D> operator interfaces? (They look like the operator interface on the front door of the Mark IV, but one can't force logic from them and are usually limited in some other minor ways, as well.) If they have this capability, using CSF (Control System Freeway, an ARCnet-style communication method), then you might consider using the <ITC> from CSE Engineering, Inc. (www.itc-info.us). While the website doesn't directly mention the Mark IV capability, if your existing installation includes <D>s and <MAUI>s then they could probably install one of their <ITC>s and it has OPC capability that could then be used to interface to the DCS.

Hi Chris,

I hope my reply is still in time. I am working as a control engineer with ITS-Industrial Turbine Services GmbH, an Austrian based company providing HMI and Turbine Control System retrofit solutions, espcially on GE and Siemens series Heavy Duty GT.

Our HMI, codenamed TMOS SCADA is capable of interfacing with numerous systems via
- Modbus-Protocol (serial and TCP)
- MAMSP-Protocol
- DLAN-Protocol
- ArcNet-Protocols
- Ethernet-Protocols
- SQL-Interface
- OPC-Interface
- SNMP-Communication
- NNTP-Communication
- SMTP-Communication
- SysLog-Interface
- Profibus-Interface

Our TMOS SCADA can act as a gateway in between MarkIV, using MAMSP or serial DDUMP, and DCS with Modbus or OPC. If you would like value added we can also upgrade the gateway to a HMI workstation in your remote control room so that you have a GUI based operator interface for your MarkIV.
If you are still interested please drop us an email to [email protected]

Regards,
Kevin