stack gas analysis

W

William G. Go

Anybody know what product i can use for stack gas analysis using infrared principle, just like an opacity monitor it uses also to measure the NOx, SOx,CO,O2 by calculating its wavelength. Thanks guys William

H

Hakan Ozevin

You can try to make a search on "gas chromatograph". Spectrometer is also a solution for this, but very expensive, altough much more accurate and not limited to gases (in fact intended for solids). Good luck! Hakan Ozevin

A

Andrew Curtis

OPSIS Inc. are a Swedish Company who make optical based cross stack analysers that can be configured to measure many pollutants. I used the analysers for emission monitoring of exhaust stacks on a tunnel.

J
Gee, there are loads of NDIR analyzers for stack gas analysis. For starters, try Horiba, Siemens, Fisher-Rosemount, & Ametek. John

D

Danner, Damon

Several companies make an infrared detector type analyzer for gas analysis. Rosemount, Bovar/Amtek,MSA for a few. These analyzers require some type of sample system. If your looking for an analyzer to read across a stack, similar to the Opacity, Ametek makes one. We had such an analyzer on our CO boiler, but it was a pain in the rearend to perform maintenance on. DD. Pennzoil Quaker State Co. Control Systems/Analyzers Atlas Plant Shreveport, La. 71133

W

William G. Go

Dear John, im not talking about the type of analysis (ndir, eletrochemical, zirconia for O2, paramagnetic, etc.) but on the sensor. a gas analyzer uses typically a probe thats sucks air on the stack. the one that im talking about is using light emitted by the transmitter & has a reciever on the end side & analys through the wavelength seen to each type of gases (O2, NOx, SO2, CO, CO2). existing instrument says they are more ideal to use if you have to run the hose too far from the stack to the analyzer because there will be leak in between distance. i compare it to like measuring opacity (having the same principle) by light transmission. i did try to find it in different search engines but it gives the wrong info. guys please help me. i need to finish my proposal soon. thanks, william

W

William G. Go

dear damon, do you suggest base on your experience that we use such type of equipment in replacement for a probe that sucks air for sample? what problem do you encounter? thanks for the info. william

D

Danner, Damon

William, In my opinion, analyzers that sense across a stack are put there as a last resort or it was just the cheaper route or the salesman was good. I can recall one installation, (the "I" word). First of all you had to climb. This is ok when your not toting equipment and tools. Hopefully the environment is not too hot, especially during the warmer months. Calibration had to take place in the dark, so you had to have some kind of shield draped over the analyzer and yourself. The calibration took two people, since the controller for the analyzer was located remotely from the sensing part. Adjustments to the cal. had to be made at both ends; analyzers electronics and sensor end. Purging the sensing end electronics was essential to keep stack gases from entering the housing. This was done with a blower fan and not instrument air for nitrogen. This particular analyzer need an O-scope for cal. I say "make it easy on yourself". Use the sample pump and put the analyzer in an environmentally unchallenged building. Its less frustrating for the tech's and they won't mind working on the equipment and will do a hell of a better job. I'm done complaining. See ya later. Damon Pennzoil Quaker State Co. Control Systems/Analyzers Atlas Plant Shreveport, La. 71133

P
William, I am a salesman of such analyzers, representing Sick, Inc. You can use infrared for all but the O2. We use UV for NOx and SO2. A second analyzer, infrared, would be required for CO and a zirconia cell is one way to measure O2. Hope this is timely and helpful.