Standalone FCS by Yokogawa

H

Hamid

Hi everybody,

We are considering the use of Yokogawa CS3000 DCS as the main PCS. We have a number of vendor packages as well. To avoid having different hardware (and consequently different hardware, different software, different tools, different spare parts, different expertise, etc.) one idea is that all the controllers be the same.
Is it possible that each vendor purchases an FCS by Yokogawa instead of using other common PLCs by Siemens, Allen Bradley, ABB, etc?

I guess there are some challenges in this:

1- Everybody should be master in programming Yokogawa FCS which I doubt it is the case.

2- FCS must be a standalone controller so that everybody can test his own package at his own site.

3- Even if everybody uses the same FCS and software, there will be different programing techniques which makes the documentation and future troubleshooting very difficult.

4- FCS by Yokogawa seems to be more expensive than convenient PLCs. Especially everybody should purchase the license separately!

5- I doubt in this case, one can do everything he can do from CCR with DCS supplied hardware as well as vendor provided part in the same manner.

Actually I think this is not practical in this way. One solution might be that each vendor gives the logic to the DCS system integrator to implement, but the question remains how to test the package before delivery? What about the guarantee?! Who does the modifications at the time of commissioning and startup if necessary?!

Please let me know your comments.

Thanks,
Hamid

W
Since Chevron recently announced that they were moving from their previous vendor to Yokogawa, you might want to give some people at Chevron's tech center in Richmond California a shout to see if they will share their reasons for this.

If you don't know who to talk to, call Kari Mitchell or Constantine Lau or Bruce Jensen at Yokogawa Corp of America in Houston and they'll be (I am quite certain [evil grin]) happy to direct you.

Walt Boyes
Editor in Chief
Control magazine
www.controlglobal.com
blog:Sound OFF!! http://www.controlglobal.com/soundoff

Putman Media Inc.
555 W. Pierce Rd. Suite 301
Itasca, IL 60143
630-467-1301 x368
[email protected]

hello Mr.Walt Boyes
Since Chevron recently announced that
they were moving from their previous
vendor to Yokogawa. will you please tell me what Contract is sign between Chevron and Yokogawa

E

Eric Thielking

YCA's DCS3000 (CENTUM CS) usually needs one FCS (field control station), with some RIO (remote I/O processor) an ICS (Operator Console) and an EWS (Engineering Work Station). Each of these hangs on the 'v-net'. Without talking with someone at YCA, (1-800-524-7378) I would say, No.

Better to ask your vendors to supply same plcs on all packages. And get it communicated to Cs3000 through modbus

E

ERNEST SMITH

>1- Everybody should be master in programming Yokogawa FCS which I doubt it is the case.>

You can have multiple people programming the same FCS.

>2- FCS must be a standalone controller so that everybody can test his own package at his own site.>

Yokogawa provides test functionality that utilizes PC only.

>3- Even if everybody uses the same FCS and software, there will be different programing techniques which makes the documentation and future troubleshooting very difficult.>

Standard methods are available.

>4- FCS by Yokogawa seems to be more expensive than convenient PLCs.
Especially everybody should purchase the license separately!>

Project Evaluation Licenses can be provided

>5- I doubt in this case, one can do everything he can do from CCR with DCS supplied hardware as well as vendor provided part in the same manner.>

Yokogawa has multiple hardware offering that are integrated whether PLC, Safety PLC, or DCS.

We are a system integrator of Yokogawa.

Ernest M Smith
GMP Inc.
610-331-4773