STEP 5 PROGRAMMING

G

Gordie Lambie

Hello;

I am a electronics tech in the search for something different after running my own business for a number of years. I have come across a potential job that requires at least an understanding of the Siemens step 5 program. I have found several high cost methods of learning this but before I go there I was wondering if I could get any suggestions on a beginners way in. Is there any reading material out there that could get me from complete beginner to at least a novice. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance-Gordie

M

Michael Griffin

Gordie Lambie wrote:
<clip>
>I am a electronics tech in the search for something different after
>running my own business for a number of years. I have come across a
>potential job that requires at least an understanding of the Siemens step
>5 program. I have found several high cost methods of learning this but
>before I go there I was wondering if I could get any suggestions on a
>beginners way in. Is there any reading material out there that could get
>me from complete beginner to at least a novice. Any suggestions or help
>would be appreciated. Thanks in advance-Gordie
<clip>
Are you asking about the Step 5 programming software, or the S5 PLC series? These are two different things to learn. The Step 5 programming software is probably best described as user hostile. The only way to get really familiar with it is to use it.
The S5 PLCs themselves are a bit different from what you may be used to if you learned any other PLCs, but are pretty nice to use. They have some very nice features. The S5 family is fairly consistent across the product
range so once you are familiar with one, you know most of how the rest work.
Complete manuals for both (software and PLCs) is available for free from Siemens' web site as PDF files. It may take some digging to find them, as Siemens' web site is also rather user hostile, and they keep changing things around.

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada
[email protected]

The Siemens Step5 Software can be used for the entire range of S5 PLC's.

I find the Siemens Step5 software "comfortable" to use but you really need to understand the PLC's first.

Step 5 PLC software is still msdos based but a least there is no BSD(!).

There is also Windows based S5 software but this is not produced by Siemens.

Visit the following site for more basic info.

http://www.plcman.co.uk