Step 7-Micro/Win V4.0 + SP6 (Single License)

K

Kamran Hafeez

The above said details are of the Simatic Manager Step 7-Micro/Win
Is this the editor S7 PLC's. I am not wrong. What does Micro/Win.V4.0 is version and single license means?

Please guide me because some one else has purchased this s/w for my organization.

Please guide me this e-mail:
kamranbinhafeez [at] yahoo.com

There are two completely different types of Siemens S7 PLC. The S7-300 and S7-400 are an evolutionary development of the old S5 family, and are programmed with a software package called "Step-7".

The S7-200 is a completely different PLC, which was developed by TI before they were bought by Siemens. This PLC is modelled after the Koyo (Direct Logic) PLCs, which both TI and Siemens (and GE) used to sell under their own names. The addressing was changed to IEC decimal style, the math is register to register rather than accumulator based, and the hardware is incompatible, but they are otherwise quite similar. This is programmed with a software package called "Step-7 Microwin".

The S7-300/400 and the S7-200 are completely different PLCs and are aimed at different markets. The S7-200 is a low cost but very capable PLC. The S7-300/400 are intended for larger applications, and are much more expensive. They also have certain types of specialty I/O modules which are not available for the S7-200.

The S7-200 is a very conventional PLC. If you can program any PLC at all, you can program an S7-200. The S7-300/400 on the other hand are probably the most difficult to program of any PLC on the market.

A Siemens distributor told me that the majority of his sales were for the S7-200 and that it was a very popular PLC in its class because of its low cost. He had sold fewer S7-300, and at the time had never sold an S7-400.

If I recall correctly, "single license" simply means that you only get one install license. I believe that Siemens also sells them in multiple license packs, which means you can install it on several different computers. You would pay extra for that of course.