Stepper Motor Controller Programming

D

Deepa

Hello!
We are working on a device for mixing solutions for biochemistry related applications. At the moment we are trying to find out the best option for our stepper motor controllers. We are looking at a controller that will be able to drive at least 2-3 stepper motors. I need to know how we
can program such a controller and whether it is possible to interface this with a LINUX machine. Please also give me the names of products and the manufacturers.

Thanks

Best Regards,
Deepa

J

James Ingraham

There are numerous such options. Most servo controllers can drive steppers, and many servo controller manufacturers have drivers for Linux. Galil springs immedialtey to mind. Also, by going with an Ethernet-based controller you can dodge the OS issue entirely; since all you need to be able to do is write TCP/IP code you can use any OS that has a TCP/IP stack. Galil does Ethernet, as does Douloi. I lean towards Douloi, personally, especially if this is a one-of-a-kind thing rather than a mass-produced thing. Galil isn't compelling unless you're doing large quantities.

-James Ingraham

R

Rokicki, Andrew

There is 2 ways you can do this(depending what you are doing).

1.) If you are going point to point motion.
Get controller with RS232 interface and communicate this way.
This one should be straight forward.

2.) If you need to do something every step.
Use the step and direction signals to drive it.

If you use #2, be careful Linux time slice is about 10 ms (RH 386) you will have to modify kernel to get smaller time slice (very small changes to HZ variable).

We have done both with good results. If you need more help let me know.

P
Hi,
Maybe, you could use servo-Halbeck's POSYS Motion Controller. Visit "www.axiscontrol.com.sg":http://www.axiscontrol.com.sg for more informations. The POSYS Motion Controller is possible to interface with a LINUX machine. They have some sample program for your reference. Let me know if you want more informations.
Thanks.
Best regards,
Patrick Yap

> Hello!
> We are working on a device for mixing solutions for biochemistry related applications. At the moment we are trying to find out the best option for our stepper motor controllers. We are looking at a controller that will be able to drive at least 2-3 stepper motors. I need to know how we
> can program such a controller and whether it is possible to interface this with a LINUX machine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Best Regards,
> Deepa

Hi,

I just had such a program written for one of
my applications. It is available under the GPL,
but you'd be wise contacting the program's
author about this first. He will put
it out shortly, but he has not done this
yet: in the meantime, he can help you set
it up (for me he did this for a modest fee).

He is Phil Wilshire, at philwil(AT)earthlink.net.

Nino

I'm at pereira(AT)speakeasy.org