Submersible Pressure Transmitter

S

Steven Landau

Does anybody know of a manufacturer which has submersible I/S pressure transmitter with Teflon Coated Cable.

I need to measure level in Solvent Tanks. Please recommend manufacturer.

S. Landau
SPEC

A

Anthony Kerstens

Why specifically a submersible PS?

Why not an ultrasonic level sensor, or even
just a pressure sensor off a pipe at tank bottom?

Anthony Kerstens P.Eng.

W
Contact Tom Dailey at WIKA. His email is mailto:[email protected]. This is likely to be a special. I don't know anybody who makes a teflon-coated, teflon diaphragm, teflon cable submersible pressure transducer that is
Intrinsically Safe for use in Solvent Tanks.

I'd suggest though that you look at FMCW radar instead as a sensor type (NOT pulse radar). FMCW can handle a dielectric of roughly 2.

If you don't think radar will work, then I'd tap the side of the tank, and use a teflon chemical seal and a differential pressure transmitter mounted exterior to the vessel. Again, Mr. Dailey can help you there.

M
Try Viatran of Grand Island,NY
WWW.viatran.com

Also for Solvent based systems , you may need to use a special transmitter/controller from syscon/RKC .. Call rep @ 518-765-3667

S

Steven Landau

Anthony - Because the tanks are installed in an underwound bunker with concrete roof. I have only about 10" working space above existing manway.

I can't add a new nozzle on the bottom because the tanks are in use.

I thought ultrasonics are affected by solvent vapors.

Radar won't measure solvents with low dielecteric.

Floating Ball Magnetorestrictive requires a Stick inserted, I don't have any room to put in a 10' long stick.

My Magnetorestrictive vendor proposed a flexible cable with weight or magnet at end, but I am concerned about my ability to get the cable to
feed in and be secured to bottom of tank.

With bubble tube, I have same problem as magnetorestrictive, ( how am I sure the tube is at bottom.)

WIth a submersible I can just drop it in a small hole and use strain relief on a re-manufactured mayday.

Are my thoughts about this problem off base? Or am I missing another solution

S. Landau
SPEC

E

Eric M. Klintworth

The Ametec model 575 is available I/S. The standard cable is polyurethene, but they are custom built anyway, so teflon cable should
be readily available. (Other wetted parts are viton and stainless steel.) I've used these very successfully in sewage applications.
<http://www.ametekusg.com/pmt575.htm> There's a nice two page PDF data sheet, but you have to register to download it (and you have to register
_every time!_, grouse, grouse.)

Eric M. Klintworth, PE
Columbus, Ohio

A

Al Pawlowski

Submersible PT's are also inexpensive. Down to about $350 for 1%FS accuracy.

Manufacturer's I have used with good results are: KPSI, Ametek, Delta Scientific & Wyka. Also, the cable on the last Wyka unit I got just may
have been Teflon jacketed. I had not ordered anything special, but I remember it as being slicker and shinier than nylon. Could have been some type of polyethelene though.

A

Anthony Kerstens

Interesting problem. Sounds like something custom may be in order. If you have solvent vapours, you also need explosion proof. And physical restriction limit mechanical devices.

Maybe there's a way to do it using an optical/
reflective device (ie. not simple/cheap). I'll think about it.

Anthony Kerstens P.Eng.

W
Talk to Bindicator about their Radar Tracker. The latest software version I've seen can handle the dielectric of polypropylene pellets and has a
flexible cable. I'd ask the local rep to allow me to borrow one and see if it works. The one I got to play with was substantially more sensitive than any of the other cable radar products I've seen (you know the usual suspects).

Otherwise, you're in for big bucks for a custom submersible pressure transducer.

Best,

Walt Boyes

---------------------------------------------
Walt Boyes -- MarketingPractice Consultants
[email protected]
21118 SE 278th Place - Maple Valley, WA 98038
253-709-5046 cell 425-432-8262 home office
fax:801-749-7142
---------------------------------------------

B

Bruce Durdle

> Radar won't measure solvents with low dielecteric.

Radar systems are in use on LPG with dielectric constant 1.8 - (admittedly,
its a special - but there are a lot of LPG applications). Best results come
by making use of the stilling well as a waveguide.

Bruce

R

Robert D. Wagner, P.E.

You could consider using a bubbler system.

Robert D. Wagner, P.E.
Robert D. Wagner, P.E. & Assoc.