Switching from a Modicon 484 to Micro Logix 1500?

M

Matt

I work at a foundry operation. We currently have a Modicon 484 enhanced controller on our sand muller. We are considering changing to a Micro Logix 1500 controller. Is there any way to convert our program from the Modicon to the Micro Logix 1500?

Thanks
Matt

D

Dean Kindrai

Why go to a Micrologix? Most 484 code can be easily put into a 984 class PLC (Modicon Quantum, Compact 984 or even a Micro) using a quick software utility. Your entire "re-programming" time would be under 5 minutes.

A

Anthony Kerstens

I believe that Modsoft has that ability built in.
You can bring logic from 484/884 into any 984 compliant processor. If you're using Taylor Proworx Plus, there are some additional instructions in the Proworx help.

Also, some of the instructions are not exactly the same. Beware of the timer done output, the math block carry outputs, and some others I can't remember which. When the 984 instruction set was released some changes were made.

Anthony Kerstens P.Eng.

A

Anthony Kerstens

Pardon me. I was momentarily confused.
The Micro Logix 1500 is an AB PLC. Obviously,
an AB PLC is not going to be compatible with
Modicon.

Why don't you just forget about AB and use a
Modicon Quantum. You may have an easy upgrade
path from the old to the new.

For example, I once converted an old 884
processor to Quantum, put a J890 in place of
the old processor, and controlled the old I/O
rack with the Quantum via coax for the short
term til the full conversion could be completed.

Anthony Kerstens P.Eng.

Be careful of I/O scan time issues; the 484, with it's parallel I/O processing was very speedy. I've seen high-speed 484 applications (using DC I/O) that could not be moved to more modern PLCs, due to the higher I/O scan times of
the more sophisticated I/O architectures.

-Ron

> Why go to a Micrologix? Most 484 code can be easily put into a 984 class PLC (Modicon Quantum, Compact 984 or even a Micro) using a quick software utility. Your entire "re-programming" time would be under 5 minutes.

Which software utility are you talking about ?