TAGS FOR RSVIEW TAG DATA BASE

M

Mihir Ramkrishna

I have just procurred RSVIEW32. I have 4000 tags in my PLC which will have to be configured in the tag data base of the RSVIEW32. I have the tag list in MS Excel and MS Acess format. Is there any way by which I can import these tags to the tag data base of the RSVIEW so that I dont have to labouriously enter these 4000 tags?

Please advise.

Yes, RSView32 comes with a tag-export/import-to-CSV utility. I think it's under the Tools section on the start menu.

There's a help file that shows the format, as well as a tech note on the Rockwell support site (search for note A8109).

But it's just as easy to figure it out yourself. The best approach is to create your project, define the nodes for communication to the PLC, and then manually enter an analog and discrete tag. If you're going to use folders, also create a folder and put a tag or two into it. Then run the utility and select 'export to a CSV file'. Excel will open the CSV file directly, and you can look at it to see the format of the columns, which correspond to the items on the tag entry form.

Then it's cut-and-paste time to get your data into the right columns. Notice that the folders have to be defined at the top of the file so that the subsequent folder tags will be handled properly. There's also a magic first row in the CSV file with version info that must be kept.

Then you save the file back as a CSV and run the utility to import.

R

Rafael Becerra

If your PLC is an Allen Bradley PLC5 or SLC500, the import is direct. You can export the tag database from logix in EAS format, the using the Database Import/Export utility you can import that database into RSView.
If you have controllogix, you can use the acimport utility ( http://www5.software.rockwell.com/s...4b2728a2d38625665f005d4b45/$FILE/ACimport.msi )

If you have other PLC, you can make a small project in RSView32, export the tag dabase in CSV format. With this CSV you can learn the format used by RSView, and then in Excel modify your database to meet RSView format (maybe using VBA o VB).

Hope this helps

Rafael Becerra

With the software there should be an option either installed or on the CD, called "RSView32 Tools" within this is a program called "Database Import & Export Wizard". This program uploads the tag db and will also download the tag db. I would upload a tag first so you can see the column format so you can sort your db for downloading.

There is a database import/export utility supplied with RSView32. Start-programs-Rockwell Software-RSView32 Tools-Database Import&Export Wizard. You want to pick the Import option from the drop-down. As with any CSV import you need to get your variables (=columns in Excel) in the right order, either check the RSView32 Help or create a single tag in RSView, export it and use it as a "template" for you database. If your tags were generated for a PLC5/SLC500 using RSLogix5/500 then RSView can import them directly by using the Tag Database browser.
Cheers,
Alan