TCP Smart Touch

J

Jim

Looking for a lead on programming software, manual and cable for TCP Smart Touch HMI'S. recently received some old equipment 1994 vintage with no way to support it. The Smart Touch HMIs are connected to Westinghouse PLCs

If anyone has any information, please email me at [email protected]. Thanks

B

Bob Peterson

I used a bunch of TCP units around that time. Don't recall what they were called. They programmed via an IBM PC keyboard you had to plug into the back of the thing (look for a round receptacle about 3/4" in diameter). No programming software but did have some kind of utility to save the configurations.

I think I made the cable or used something I already had for saving configurations. I looked through my stash of cables and did not find anything specific to that unit.

--
Bob
http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

We have a bunch of the TCP QuickPanel HMIs still in service. According to the history lesson I received a while back, they were owned by GE for a while before being bought by Proface. The software we use is QuickDesigner. There is a proprietary cable that has a small box in the middle with electronics in it. We haven't opened it up to see what's inside yet. It connects a PC's COM port to a round connector on the bottom of the unit. No idea if QuickDesigner supports your units or not. I will say that it doesn't run happily on Windows 7 and isn't 100% reliable in a WinXP Virtual Machine. It works fine with virtual COM ports.

To set the record straight.

Proface is/was handling a product made by DEC a Japanese Co. TCP's QuickPanel product line is based on the same hardware from DEC. These did use QuickDesigner software for development. But the "Smart Touch" line does not use QD.

GE-IP stills owns the QuickPanel product and still sells QuickDesigner, but it is being obsoleted now. GEIP's Proficy Machine Edition View QuickPanel developer software can also be used on the old "DEC/TCP/Proface" line.

FYI:
QuickDesigner was never sanctioned to run on a modern Operating System like Windows XP or 7, (But it did run in Windows ME!) this is where Proficy is better used.
==============================================

Any luck finding a manual and cable? I'm in the same boat for one of these devices connected to an Allen Bradley PLC for an EAM Mosca strapping machine.

>Looking for a lead on programming software, manual and
>cable for TCP Smart Touch HMI'S. recently received some
>old equipment 1994 vintage with no way to support it. The
>Smart Touch HMIs are connected to Westinghouse PLCs

Jim H