Technical evaluation of a PLC

R

Ranjan Acharya

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as the best PLC. All you will get is opinions.

How much money do you have to spend? Do you want a traditional PLC or a PC-based controller? Do you like good old ladder or do you like IEC 61131.3? Do you need bullet-proof nuclear power plant redundancy, simple chemical plant redundancy .... Can your system be supported locally 24x7 wherever your customers are?

I have yet to find the best PLC. For the day-to-day stuff the S7, Modicon Quantum, Rockwell / A-B ControlLogix to name but three all make the grade.

Good luck.

RA

S

Santosh S Ahinave

We are a system integrator operating in various fields like Steel, Cement, Oil & Gas etc. We are in process of selecting a make of PLC for our business. For that can anybody send me a list of specifications to be looked at to find the best PLC.

Thanks in advance
Santosh.

R

Ranjan Acharya

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as the best PLC. All you will get is opinions.

How much money do you have to spend? Do you want a traditional PLC or a PC-based controller? Do you like good old ladder or do you like IEC 61131.3? Do you need bullet-proof nuclear power plant redundancy, simple chemical plant redundancy .... Can your system be supported locally 24x7 wherever your customers are?

I have yet to find the best PLC. For the day-to-day stuff the S7, Modicon Quantum, Rockwell / A-B ControlLogix to name but three all make the grade.

Good luck.

RA

hi ssantosh
i hope you are in india -
all the plc in the market are technically capabel to solve the customer requirement but the question is the acceptance in the market - it varies from region to region
if you take machine tool messung is doing well - it does nt mean other plc are not capable - they are attacting the customer on price and service

if you are specific in process, the system should have good high end plc including redundancy plc/analog modules with good resiolution

find out whether it is acknowledged by leading consultant in process

with regards
ravi
[email protected]

I would start much like purchasing a PC. What software do you want to run? In the PLC case, How many I/O points? What type of resolution out of the A/D,D/A? How many segments or different processes at one time? Look for minimum scan time you can live with. COST, this is usually not apparent at first, try to get a software upgrade later, see what that costs. Look at PLCs that handle batch processing in particular.

Best of luck.

K
Dear Mr. ravi,
Myself Kapil from Punjab. From your following message I found that you are at sea in PLC. Since I am going to start my research on "Feasibility of PLC in India", i think that you will not disappoint me in this matter. Can you please state me about the sites of foreign companies providing or researching/trying their hands on PLC in their respective countries.

Appreciating your best help always as a sincere friend.

Thanks & regards,
Kapil Sood
[email protected]