Temperature Control using Kalman Filtering

S

satish

Hi

I am trying to implement temperature control using kalman filtering. I have the model for our thermal system. I was wondering if any one can give me some directions as to how to simulate the kalman filter and the kalman koepcke controller. Also can any one suggest a good web site and or book that describes how to simulate this control technique. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Satish

Check out the example in Matlabs control toolbox - but do you really need to implement it, Kalman is used to estimate a signal burried in noise? What is your application can you not start with simple PID and see how it performs??

Hi

We need to control a temperature to within 1 milli degree C so my thought was if we can predict the temperature ahead so that we can start to control the duty cycle such that the temperature reaches the set point without much of an overshoot.
I saw similar kind of anlogy being used in the steel industries where in they have the ingot pit temperature measured and they estimate the surface and core temperature of the steel before processing it. By estimating the core temperature the control the fuel flow that is used to heat up the steel. So I thought this anlogy might work well in trying to achieve what we want. your comments are welcome.

Satish