The Lindows Discussion

C

Curt Wuollet

Came across this article pertinant to the Lindows discussion. Apparently, the Lindows folks "get it" in that they need to provide a good Linux experience that they can control, rather than provide a poor Windows experience controlled elsewhere and subject to sabotage, malicious format changes, legal harrassment, etc., etc. A wise decision IMHO. Otherwise, they would be forcibly assimilated, one way or another. e.g. Corel.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,107103,00.asp

I do believe it would be great if at least one distro could have total Windows compatibility. But, realistically, MS will never, ever, permit that to happen. And now, there is nothing to stop them.

Regards

cww

C

Curt Wuollet

C'mon now, Jiri. I wouldn't use it either. But we're talking about folks transitioning from an OS that comes "bare" and you have to buy everything else. They're not used to owning half a dozen apps, let alone 1000's of free apps. I've had customers that were actually quite overwhelmed by choice and asked for the "short list" to get them started. :^) This is really a good "problem" to have, though. And yes, some people just can't deal with the "command line" :^)

Regards

cww

C

charles sterling

I'd agree that MickySoft is still a problem in regards to compatability - at minimum. Also agreed, as they give up some API data they will create new code and start off in another direction to force the onset of new versions of software while they initiate the shutdown of support on past products.

The general advantage of any Linux distribution is choice.

The WINE project will do what it can to keep up and as Lindows & Linux gain more exposure more and more windows application developers will also make a Linux available version of their software.

EVENTUALLY, MickySoft will feel enough pressure to recompile the Office Suite and other apps. to make avaialbe Linux version software.

In the mean time - DUAL BOOT is a GREAT way to enjoy Lindows/Linux and keep what is necessary of the other applications readily available.

cheers,
cs