The Pervasive Internet in Industrial Automation

J

JimPinto

Automation List :

Soon, digital intelligence and connectivity will be available for almost every commercial and industrial product and appliance, extending the Internet into most aspects of our lives.

Products and companies that fail to exploit this next wave of the digital revolution will simply obsolete themselves.

See my new articles on this subject, posted on
AutomationTechies.com, Nov. 2002.
"The Pervasive Internet & its effect on industrial automation":
"http://www.automationtechies.com/sitepages/art624.php":http://www.automationtechies.com/sitepages/art624.php

Cheers::

jim
----------/
Jim Pinto
email : [email protected]
web: www.JimPinto.com
San Diego, CA., USA
----------/

C

Curt Wuollet

Hi Jim

Unfortunately there's a speed trap on this highway. Given the current monopoly, all roads will lead through Redmond and they will get ever richer fleecing the weary traveller, coming and going. That's what .NET is about. Before making toll roads an institution, I think infrastructure builders should carefully consider the road less travelled and the wisdom of free public highways. Your thoughts?

Regards

cww

I don't agree, Curt.
.NET is just one way that Microsoft is trying to insert itself on this highway. But, the flood of products/services will not be restricted - for example, a lot of the "pervasive" Internet will be related to embedded software and infrastructure, which can/will be unrelated to Microsoft, Windows and all their other products/services.

I don't think anyone needs to have a defeatist attitude about Microsoft. Sure, they'll try hard to get you to use .NET and their other products - as good marketeers should. But, there is room for everyone - and for new leaders - Linus, open-systems etc.

Cheers:

jim
----------/
Jim Pinto email : jim(AT)jimpinto.com
web: www.JimPinto.com
San Diego, CA., USA
----------/

C

Curt Wuollet

Hi Jim
I hope you're right. But, it's not defeatism.
When you are dealing with an entity that has
monopoly power and is above the law, it is
merely pragmatic to assume they can get what
they want. The only limit will be what the
public will allow, and right now, they seem
willing to allow MS to own and control
everything as long as it causes no major
inconvenience to MS users.

There have been some barricades thrown up on
their roadmap and a few people are beginning
to glimpse the next stage, after control is
absolute and they're nerviously checking their
MS wallets. But, I'm not at all sure the
public at large will exit in time. I hope they
brought their traveller's checks. There's no
turning back once you're on the Toll road.

Regards
cww