Tire Temperature/Pressure

M

Mark Hill

Greetings all;

I have a unique application.

I'd like to monitor the tire pressure or temperature inside the wheels of a LARGE mining truck.

The final output should be 0 to 5 VDC or 4 to 20 mA.

Obviously, the tires rotate so hard wiring is not possible.

Anyone have experience or suggestions ??

TIA

Mark Hill - President, Intelligent SCADA Solutions
[email protected]

M
Hi Mark,

I was just wondering how the race cars do it. I know F1 have tire pressure as part of their telemetry systems.

Cheers,

Mark Riche, P. Eng.
Electrical Design Engineer
Northwest Territories Power Corporation
4 Capital Drive
Hay River, Northwest Territories
X0E 1G2
ph (867) 874-5266
Fax (867) 874-5264

J

John Wheatley

New Corvettes display tire pressure on the console. NASCAR racers also use tire pressure monitors I think. Just some starting ideas.
JohnW

C

Curt Wuollet

Hi Mark

The car companies have done this (at least, GM I think) You might be able to find this "off the shelf". I'd check with Delphi.(nee Delco).

Regards

Curt Wuollet, Owner
Wide Open Technilogies.

E
Tire monitoring systems are commercially available. IIRC the new Corvette uses a system to monitor air pressure because the run-flat tires handle well enough that the driver might not know the tire had gone flat. I don't know
any makers off hand but I believe that a web search on the subject will turn up some sources (Also look for run-flat tires). I remember looking once and finding some products. I think they mount to the inside of the rim, with a
receiver in the car.

Ed Mulligan

Speaking for me, not for Starbucks

W

William Irish

Try http://www.kisantech.com/ they have a transducer that replaces a conventional valve stem and transmits pressure to a local receiver. I think it is temperature compensated but it doesn't send the temperature.

Bill Irish

P
I think that present applications for racing and passenger cars (I have a friend whose '98 Grand Prix monitors its own tires) do it by mounting a magnetic pickup next to the wheel and counting revs. If counts for one wheel, compared to the others (or maybe to an ideal value at nominal inflation pressure) go outside a bandwidth, the
system tells you that a tire is low. The information is developed over many revs tho, based on the idea that if a tire is going flat then as pressure drops the radius decreases and that wheel is turning more than the remaining three. I don't know if heavy machinery could use
the same principle.

Paul T

D

Darold Woodward

I've read that the Corvette has a wireless tire pressure sensor in the rim. I suspect that there is an off-the-shelf solution for this. There is also some variant of this in the HumVee (sp?) that has an on-the-fly tire inflation system
to allow the driver to adjust pressures for terrain without stopping or leaving the vehicle.

I've also seen a purely mechanical device that could be used if the tires were fitted with a stem similar to an auto or truck tire. It indicates based on an acceptable pressure range. A quick walk-around visual inspection would be
required at the beginning of each shift which is probably already reqired.

Darold Woodward PE
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories
[email protected]

D

David Chassin

Check out PNNL's research on wireless sensors (http://www.pnl.gov/). They're doing this F16 and semis. Problem for you is that theirs is all digital. 4-20 is not necessarily the preferred output from a wireless sensor--digital/pulse-width is easier/less-expensive.

C

Conrad Fernandez

Mark,

How about using a microcontroller such as a PIC with an RF transceiver? It could be interfaced to the tire via the valve stem and the monitoring unit could be attached to the wheel.

Conrad L. Fernandez
(706) 275-5514

T
A lot of the logging contractors have remote pressure adjustment for their trailers and trucks. Possibly check out semi-trailer suppliers, I would assume they monitor pressure seeming the can "pump'em up" again.
To monitor temperature, a company in South Australia has been selling a device to pass temperatures on rotary fermenters using an infra-red connection. If your interested, contact Paul Walker at Camms Automation [email protected] .

Regards,
Trevor Ousey
BJH Controls

B

Blunier, Mark

As has been mentioned, GM offers a pressure sensing system on some of their cars. As I recall, a few months back the B-Body or the Impala SS mailing lists were talking about doing a group purchase of the kit to add it to the best car Chevrolet ever made. The kit was going to be around $2000 for 4 wheels.

Mark Blunier
Any opinions expressed in this message are not necessarily those of the
company.

P

Peter Wrigley

I've been doing some research and MEMs sensors are apparently the next Big Thing. Here's an extract from an article on New Scientist's page.

http://www.newscientist.com/keysites/networld/micromachines.html

>In May, Lucas NovaSensor, a Californian subsidiary of Lucas Industries, unveiled an air-pressure sensor that is small and light enough to fit inside a car tyre. The device goes hand-in-glove with a new type of tyre that allows a car to carry on driving with a blowout. These "run-flat" tyres are safe for about 300 kilometres, but work so well that a driver may not notice the flat--hence the need for the pressure sensor. <

Might be a bit presumptuous for a logger tho ;)

Cheers
Pete

R

Richard Leman

If your need to measure commercial tyre pressures and temperatures is still real then give me a call, its a current project here. I have kit installed on my street car and development is proceeding for just the item you want! Regards [email protected]

K
There is a company in England called Genesis who manufacture and sell a system. You mount a sensor to the rim inside the tyre. This has an aerial which transmits pressure and temp to a receiver on the vehicle body. It is programmable so that you know which sensor is on which corner.

Outputs vary from can to analogue 0-5v.

Price may be a problem. I have used this system on Le mans racing cars and can recommend it.

M

Martiens van Rooyen

Hallo Mark,
Maybe you have solved your problem, but we use the Smartire commercial 6 high pressure system to monitor press and temp inside large minnig truck tyres, eg Cat 785.
Please contact me if you require more info.
Regards,
Martiens van Rooyen.