Trade Show dull-drums

J

Jeffery D. Brandt

Just returned from Bulk/Power 2001, and, from a controls standpoint: boring, dull, last-century. Vendors were proud to show that their controls were 'cheap', 'inexpensive', etc. Last year, plenty of MMI show-offs, this year: nothing. Also noticable by their absence were the large engineering companies. Somebody want to draw come conclusions for this industry? Jeff P.S. FINALLY! I've seen the almost perfect marketing application for Devi$eNET. A rather large 'stretch wrap' machine, Moolers, I think, with sensors and solenoids all over the machine, all in within a short distance, etc. NOPE! WHY: TOO EXPENSIVE. (At least it's not just me.)

G

Garrett Place

Jeff, I think I missed your point ..... DeviceNet is too expensive for sensors and solenoids?

R

Ranjan Acharya

My own cynical penny's worth. Trade Shows ... generally a waste of time ... almost as bad as those automation seminars that teach nothing. I gave up going to some of the Trade Shows in Toronto. They are too small to bother with driving in the horrible traffic here in Southern Ontario. I was in Chicago about four years ago for a Trade Show (McCormick Centre I think) that was supposed to cover Motion Control. My colleague and I got there and looked around. Two aisles later we were in a Machine and Welding Show (apart from a few cool CNC drilling machines, NOTHING to look at -- a lot of free hats though). To our horror, the two aisles we looked at were it. The only show of late that was worth the effort was the control show in Detroit. I could never justify going to some exotic locale for one of the large ISA shows. I have to wait until they are in Detroit / Chicago or Toronto. The single-vendor expositions / conferences are also difficult to justify. Someone just sent me a flyer for a Trade Show / Seminar covering Windows NT Security -- the main picture in the flyer was of a poser wind surfing -- how is one supposed to justify attending such a show? RJ

W
We are in a situation where many controls and automation manufacturers have lost their way. Too many acquisitions, too much brand death (try finding Bailey, or Leeds and Northrup, or ...), and not enough market need to justify the huge growth expectations of corporate. Too many customers see sensors and controls as commodities. Too many plant managers have been told to get productivity up, and costs down. We are still recovering from the payback cycle for Y2K, and moving into a serious economic downturn at the same time. Too many marketers are dealing with reorganizations, and rebranding issues to concentrate on serious marketing of their products. We are at the nadir of a marketing cycle. Just wait. Or, if necessary, hang on by your fingernails <grin>! Walt Boyes --------------------------------------------- Walt Boyes -- MarketingPractice Consultants [email protected] 21118 SE 278th Place - Maple Valley, WA 98038 253-709-5046 cell 425-432-8262 home office fax:801-749-7142 ICQ: 59435534