Transformer bushing arcing with the fire water nozzle

G

GT-ops

We have 2 gas turbines each having their step-up transformers. We have one start-up transformer. All of them at 230 KV. Normally the start-up transformer is always energised and connected to the Aux supply bus. In case of any GT trip, the Tie breaker for auxiliary bus will close and supplies the power. All the Transformers are provided with Fire water deluge system which is an automatic system.

The incident is for start-up transformer : During a high humidity period,it was observed that there is an arcing between one of the fire water nozzle and the nearby Transformer bushing (pole) insulator. The arcing is continuously ON/OFF with an abnormal noise.

My concern is that

1) if we leave the Transformer in service like that,there is a chance for an electric shock to the persons touching the pipe line. Please note that there is a grounding system for the pipe line.

2) As the pipe is related to fire water and if the arcing increases or is not properly grounded, there is a chance for getting shock from the other pipes connected to this piping.

We opened the primary and secondary side breakers for this Transformer.

Is it a correct way or can we leave it like that?

The start-up transformer fire water nozzle is very near to that pole/bushing right from the starting.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

GT-ops

CSA... admittedly your "Spellcheck" abilities are four times better than mine. While my error-rate is 1 in 10, yours was only 1 in 40! Keep up the good work!

Regards, Phil