Trends and how to grow the industry

J

Joe Jansen/ENGR/HQ/KEMET/US

Bob Peterson wrote: >As for your openness idea. i am not all that thrilled with it. I sort >of like the security I have knowing that the new electrician/hacker on >third shift can't rewrite my RLL complier to do what he thinks is the way >it should be, ***** If that's what you think Open means, then you have missed the entire point. It doesn't mean that you have to give your machine operators source code, compilers, etc. Linux/Unix offers a stronger security model than Windows anyway. (Especially for the local machine. If you are at the machine under NT, you have access to everything. With Linux/Unix, you can still lock out areas of the hard drive and OS based on login account. This is how you would keep Joe Hacker out of the compilers.) You think that the idea is to implement a security system and then ignore it? >Those of us in the trenches have enough problems just getting machines >out the door and keeping them running, without having to worry about >learning another complex operating system. ***** Believe me, you do not speak for all of us "in the trenches". Some of us are actually still willing to try to expand our knowledge, rather than proclaiming that "This is what has worked before, so it must be true that it will always be the best". You are starting to sound like someone "out of the trenches" and in the corner office somewhere. The day I stop wanting to learn is the day I die. I may continue to breathe and eat, but I will be dead. Joe Jansen

D

Dave Ferguson

Curt Wuollet wrote: >>Believe it or not, I agree with you! (for a 20 or 30 million dollar project) That was 2-30 Million...........(small $18 Million point of contention) Dave

M

Michael Jewell

The issue with each manufacturer trying to maintain a seperate bus and getting you to buy all of one manufacturer's product is of course
driven by the bottom line. If you have to use all of one company's hardware they will be more profitable.
It looks on the surface that the PC industry is an ideal to "fix" our industry (System Integration) but it fact the companies that make PCs are bleeding money and are falling off the cart as we progress and soon we will have only monsters of industry left.
I really don't think that we want to see only the big two left in Automation.
As an engineer dealing with System Integration daily I can say that it has gotten tons better and there are some bright spots like Profibus
which is not a company owned standard but is owned by a society. Almost all manufacturers are offering Profibus. And on the signal side
almost all are standarized to 4-20ma and -10 to +10 VDC. So it isn't that bad.
Also there is the issue of distributorships if you can not sell AB competitively but it is the US standard what do you do? Sell whoever is
willing to give you competitive pricing in your area.
Just some thoughts provoked by your acticle. I sounds good on the whole but the end result might end like the PC business..
Mike