Turbine User Technology Needs Assessment

M

Mike Parr

A big hello to the heavy duty gas turbine community here at control.com!

I am performing a turbine user technology needs assessment and am looking for user feedback from experts regarding technological development of very large, heavy duty, frame turbines. Feed your curiosity and let's have a good discussion!

First of all, thank you for contributing to an active an thought provoking discussion on this thread. I am hoping to spark everyone's curiosity so I will cover a wide range of questions. For anyone who is as interested in this as I am, please feel free to directly message me at [email protected]

This questionnaire is meant for end users as well as OEMs, however all responses are welcome.

1. There is a clear trend towards producing high efficiency, high output, high power turbines. What are the main drivers for this development? Are they purely economical? Environmental?

2. While firing temperature is an essential technical driver to reach 60%+ efficiency, how would you classify the main challenges in this area for each of the following:
- Compressor design
- Combustor technology
- Hot turbine parts design and materials (blades, vanes, alloys, TBCs, cooling technology)

3. What does GE offer in this area? The H-series seems to have not taken off (too expensive? steam cooling not flexible enough?), why is this and what may come to replace it? The 9FB.05 and FlexEfficiency 50 are both in this class but what 60 Hz option exists that is 'very large' and also 61% efficient?

4. Where are these high output, high efficiency turbines most needed and why? In countries where natural gas prices are high, clearly this is an ideal solution. However, in places where fuel is cheaper perhaps this is a less suitable technology? Consider Asia, North America, Europe and the Middle East as an example.

5. Given the new records we are seeing in combined cycle plant efficiency, what are the key conditions that allow this to happen? (ex: ambient temperature?).

6. What are the unique challenges to scaling turbines up larger? For example, single crystal blades and vanes have a size limit for practical production. Tolerances sometimes don't scale with size. What are the main challenges here?

7. In order to reach 65% efficiency, what are the main developments that need to happen? How high will firing temperature have to go to reach this? 1600C? 1700C?

Thank you to everyone in advance here for your meaningful thoughts, active conversation and intellectual discussion.

Cheers,
Mike