Turbocompressor vibrations

B

B. Wills

I would like to know the criteria for selecting vibration monitoring points ( Axial and Radial ) on a steam turbine driven process gas compressor i.e which are the best places to install the probes.

Also I would like to know about considerations for redundancy ( e.g X-Y radials) on the selected
points.

Further I would like to know more about the type of probes to choose from e.g displacement type, accelerometer etc.
Regards
B. Wills - The Switching Automaton

And last but not least I need to know the significance of the Key Phasor in the scheme of things.

P

Paul Dackermann

Go to "www.bently.com":http://www.bently.com. A wealth of information; some excellent primers. Check under "articles" and "application notes". View the article "Standardized Rules for Measurement on Rotating Machinery". The article gives a good brief on the placement and application. Covers most of your questions for x and y axis and the 45 deg. offsets from "home" or "12 0'clock". Discusses the orientation of the sensors and application of type. Defines the "drive to driven" philosophy as applied to the sensor application and utilization of the acquired data.
A consideration directly related to the placement of sensors most importantly is the machine manufacturers data.
The manufacturer should supply the necessary data for your proper application of the sensors. An example would be the thrust on the machine.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Paul Dackermann