Typical salary for an instrumentation maintenance supervisor

K

Kyle

General question about salary.... I know experience means something to people, but do you value years more than ability? I have about 6 years of service at my present company. I came in at entry level as a technician with a 2 year associates in applied science. Within less than 3 years I became journeyman qualified. This without the help of barely any training from the "training department" (or lack of). After my third year I started as a step-up supervisor and began running the day to day maintenance. During that time, at the end of the first year supervising I successfully supervised and planned a large scale turnaround at our FCC unit. I continued running the maintenance in 2011 while performing 2 smaller slowdown/turnarounds. Into 2012 now and the union contract is up in a few days. I am being offered the salary position of Instrument Supervisor. The duties include: 1. Planning/Supervising of all day to day maintenance tasks in a 165,000 barrels per day refinery 2. Planning/Supervising all major turnarounds(usually 1-3 minor and 1 major per year) 3. Available at any time to assist in plant upsets(with no compensation for hours outside of normal working hours) 4. I have no planner so I am in charge of ordering all my parts, coordinating scaffold, insulation, electric, pipefitter assistance as needed.... The company is offering 85,000 to me. They say this is non-negotiable based on my experience. The TWO supervisors who are on their way out to retirement I know make alot more than that. I feel that I perform the job that they did very much more efficient. I also believe the guys who work for me respect me alot more for being fair and easy to work for. So... in closing I guess I am just looking for input on what kind of number the industry standard would be for a Maintenance/Turnaround Instrument Field Supervisor/Planner? Sorry for the grammar errors but I hurried through this a bit.

W

William Sturm

I think that is a pretty good offer for having only an associates degree and 6 years of experience. Onward and upward, I say...

B

Bob Peterson

If it really is non-negotiable, than your choice seems to be to take the offer or not take it.

Self evaluation is usually not a very good indicator of how well one is doing, as the company does not much care how you evaluated your own work. They care about how they evaluated your work. I doubt they care whether the employees think you are fair or easy to work for either. In fact, you might find that the other employees don't see it that way despite how you see it.

In any case, I doubt the company considered those factors when they made the offer since they probably just are not that important.