Typical Schematic for Coriolis Meter Installation

S

Saharaly Toussaint

I'm Instrument Engineer. I have a question about piping configuration for Coriolis Installation: According with API Chapter 5 - Metering, Section 6, Measurement of Liquid Hydrocarbons by Coriolis Meter, Figure 2: Typical Schematic for Coriolis Meter Installation, there are two block valves for proving connection. What is the size for these valves? It exists some relation between the size of the blocks valves and the coriolis size or must be of the same diameter of the pipe?

Thanks.

S.T.

Proving valves should be the same size as the line. They should be downstream of the meter and upstream of any flow control valve. A double block and bleed Valve is required between the proving valves so you therefore actually need 3 Valves. A cheaper alternative to the DB&B is a trunnion Ball Valve with a cavity drain.

Keep in mind you should only use Proving Valves if you plan to prove the Meter Volumetrically with a Small Volume or Pipe Prover. If you are proving in MASS via weigh scale OR with a Calibrated Container (i.e. Proving Can) then proving valves are not required.

BH